[SOLVED] How many times do I have to touch metal to 'ground' myself to avoid static damage?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
I'm getting confused with the stuff that I'm reading. I didnt think this (minimising static) would be the hardest part in learning to build a PC:

How many times (or how often) do I have to touch the metal parts of my PSU or PC case to ground myself?

Also, do I have to touch it with two hands? How many fingers are required to touch the metal parts? and for how long?

If I had an anti static bracelet and touched the metalparts, would that be a bad thing? Like too much of something must be bad right? or would it be better?

Solution
"how many times..."
Often, once in a while.
More in the winter vs summer (dry air = more potential static)

One hand, one finger, palm, nose...

bracelet? well...there are those who loudly and devotedly insist that you never ever work on a PC without one. If you fail to use that wrist strap even once, total PC failure is a 100% certainty.

Then there are others who just recommend a bit of common sense.
No shuffling across the carpeted floor, ground yourself every once in a while, stuff like that.
D

Deleted member 14196

It just takes a second and just touch it with your fingers but I like to make sure that it is actually grounded the thing that I’m touching

Are used to have the bracelet that connected to an anti-static Mat

USAFRet

Titan
"how many times..."
Often, once in a while.
More in the winter vs summer (dry air = more potential static)

One hand, one finger, palm, nose...

bracelet? well...there are those who loudly and devotedly insist that you never ever work on a PC without one. If you fail to use that wrist strap even once, total PC failure is a 100% certainty.

Then there are others who just recommend a bit of common sense.
No shuffling across the carpeted floor, ground yourself every once in a while, stuff like that.

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine
Solution
You only need to touch with one fingertip (think of static shocking your younger sibling).

Frequency depends on how dry the air is, what floor surface you're on, how much you're moving around between grabbing each component during the build, etc.

I don't COUNT the number of times I ground myself to the case aside from the first time, it just happens normally after that.

Don't wear your plastic sole slippers and down jacket and you'll be fine.

I've static shocked a few components over the years and no ill effects.

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine