[SOLVED] How many Watts do I need?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, all,

Well, I am just about ready to begin assembly....and now I am concerned about my power supply. I am going water cooled and overclocked, both CPU and GPU. Gigabyte recommends 750 wts. And I have a good PS from a previous build....
but overclocking raises the ante. Just how big a supply do you recommend?

The primary elements:

CPU
Intel Core i5-11600K

MB
GIGABYTE Z590I AORUS Ultra

PSU
Corsair RM750x (from previous build)

GRAPHICS
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 XTREME WATERFORCE

Please advise, and
Thanks in advance

Larry

Solution
Thank you for your service!

ATX power supplies have a supervisor IC that is responsible for monitoring the state of the PSU. The RM750x is a strong quality unit which has a full set of protections, and in this case will shut down if overloaded on any individual rail of the power supply, of if the power draw across the rails is too high.

ATX power supplies have a certain allowance for load past what they are rated for before these protections trip. Usually the trip point is somewhere near ~120%, although looking at review it seems some versions of the RMx have this protection set a bit higher than it should comfortably be set at.

A good read here from an expert...
750 is fine for stock.

If you are planning on overclocking your GPU a ton they can spike badly and it may be wise to upgrade to an 850, but 750 might still work. I wouldn't reccomendations overclocking the 3080 due to how high the power draw is out of the box.

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
750 is fine for stock.

If you are planning on overclocking your GPU a ton they can spike badly and it may be wise to upgrade to an 850, but 750 might still work. I wouldn't reccomendations overclocking the 3080 due to how high the power draw is out of the box.
NightHawkRMX

If I DO manage to need more power than the RM750x can supply, am I at risk for damaging anything other than the PS itself?
As I am sure you can tell, I am rather over my head about this and have no idea as to the sequence of losing voltages when overtaxing an ATX PS.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Larry

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Thanks for the info...I had hoped that would be the case, but when I was a Navy tech, about a zillion years ago, that was not the case for even RADAR power supplies.

At any rate, I decided that since this will be my last build I would bite the wallet and I found a Corsair HX1000 at https://zayntek.com for $201 shipped, no taxes charged, and paid with PayPal. Incredible deal if it actually ships and arrives, and PayPal is pretty good about refunding from a crooked merchant!

Thanks again!

Larry

Thank you for your service!

ATX power supplies have a supervisor IC that is responsible for monitoring the state of the PSU. The RM750x is a strong quality unit which has a full set of protections, and in this case will shut down if overloaded on any individual rail of the power supply, of if the power draw across the rails is too high.

ATX power supplies have a certain allowance for load past what they are rated for before these protections trip. Usually the trip point is somewhere near ~120%, although looking at review it seems some versions of the RMx have this protection set a bit higher than it should comfortably be set at.

A good read here from an expert.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193-22.html
Not sure what version of the rm750x you have but here is some details on the protections of that unit, if curious.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585-6.html

I have never heard of zayntek.com, However the HX1000 is a very good quality unit and will easily handle this system overclocked.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the info...I had hoped that would be the case, but when I was a Navy tech, about a zillion years ago, that was not the case for even RADAR power supplies.

At any rate, I decided that since this will be my last build I would bite the wallet and I found a Corsair HX1000 at https://zayntek.com for $201 shipped, no taxes charged, and paid with PayPal. Incredible deal if it actually ships and arrives, and PayPal is pretty good about refunding from a crooked merchant!

Thanks again!

Larry
That is a good PSU and be enough even for your future upgrades and insane Next Gen GPU and CPU Power requirements.