Question How many watts do you need ?

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Many people think that a power supply should be more powerful, but is it true?
There are people who use 1200w power supply, but they really need much less
How many watts are recommended with a 1 video card, whether with Intel or AMD, or Nvidia and AMD cards?
Let everyone share their configuration and power required

Depends on the CPU and GPU being used and whether or not you plan on overclocking.

Most PSU calculators like this one will generally suggest about 1.5-2x the actual load power draw since historically, PSUs hit optimal efficiency around 50% duty cycle.

Most people don't actually know (or care to look up) what the actual load power draw of their system will be.

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Depends on the CPU and GPU being used and whether or not you plan on overclocking.

Most PSU calculators like this one will generally suggest about 1.5-2x the actual load power draw since historically, PSUs hit optimal efficiency around 50% duty cycle.

Most people don't actually know (or care to look up) what the actual load power draw of their system will be.

and I believed that more was better until I saw how much I needed
This is the reason for the topic so that more people know.
I chose be quiet dark power 11 750 w enough for everything at this stage

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends entirely on the psu. There's one overriding spec to any psu, Quality. Generally there's a certain amount of wattage actually used by any pc, but thermal and efficiency values, plus the unknown like spikes from gpus etc, dictate that @ 50-70% is the best range to be. Assuming a perfect psu, if your pc uses 300w, you'd want a 450w-500w psu. But many psus are far from perfect, really mediocre or bad quality. They have a tendency to lie, flat out fabrications of ability, by adding in the 3.3v and 5v+ rails (which see very little actual use, almost everything is 12v based).

So a quality unit might have right around 450w on the 12v rail, but a cheapo unit might have 300w on the 12v rail, and an extra 300w on the minor rails and claim a 600w psu. 1 small gpu spike, and the pc shuts down after drawing 320w on the 12v rail, if not toasting the psu because of lack of protective circuitry.

So even though you technically only need 300w 12v, you'll see ppl using 800w or bigger psus, because the whole world knows that bigger is obviously better.

Quality and ability go hand in hand, but are not the same thing at all.

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Depends entirely on the psu. There's one overriding spec to any psu, Quality. Generally there's a certain amount of wattage actually used by any pc, but thermal and efficiency values, plus the unknown like spikes from gpus etc, dictate that @ 50-70% is the best range to be. Assuming a perfect psu, if your pc uses 300w, you'd want a 450w-500w psu. But many psus are far from perfect, really mediocre or bad quality. They have a tendency to lie, flat out fabrications of ability, by adding in the 3.3v and 5v+ rails (which see very little actual use, almost everything is 12v based).

So a quality unit might have right around 450w on the 12v rail, but a cheapo unit might have 300w on the 12v rail, and an extra 300w on the minor rails and claim a 600w psu. 1 small gpu spike, and the pc shuts down after drawing 320w on the 12v rail, if not toasting the psu because of lack of protective circuitry.

So even though you technically only need 300w 12v, you'll see ppl using 800w or bigger psus, because the whole world knows that bigger is obviously better.

how do you find my choice? be quiet dark power 11 750w ?
I wanted 850 w but it is missing in the whole country

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Bigger PSU + RGB = more FPS. You got to love the way people think these days.

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
750 watts will run the best gaming CPU and video card out with some power to spare.

I calculated with all the best in their calculator, without overclocking it is 79% 592w

Your configuration
  • CPU: Core i9-9980XE
  • GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
  • Drives: S-ATA 1x, P-ATA 0x
  • RAM: 8x
  • Fans: 8x
  • Water cooling: 0x
  • USB 3.1 Gen. 2: No
  • Overclocked: No

I still have time to choose the rm1000i but is it worth it?

Isn't rm1000i a better choice?
Corsairs RM series are good. The problem with buying more wattage than you need is that most people have a fixed PSU budget. Higher wattage units cost more. So if you say "I'm going to spend $80 on a PSU" then you're generally going to get better quality in a 650W PSU @ $80 than a 1000+W PSU @ $80. And if 650W is/was plenty for your system power draw, you've just sacrificed quality for wattage you'll never use.

Reactions: lordmogul

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Corsairs RM series are good. The problem with buying more wattage than you need is that most people have a fixed PSU budget. Higher wattage units cost more. So if you say "I'm going to spend $80 on a PSU" then you're generally going to get better quality in a 650W PSU @ $80 than a 1000+W PSU @ $80. And if 650W is/was plenty for your system power draw, you've just sacrificed quality for wattage you'll never use.

think about the future.
750 watts not much anymore
I'm worried about complaints about rm1000i
be quiet 750 costs 20 euros a little is not a big difference, but I do not want the buzzing and noise of the fan again.

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
i like rmi and i don't get paid for design for be quiet but there are a lot of complaints for rmi1000i
A 10 year warranty is tempting, but if it is again a product of poor quality it loses its meaning.
I would say that there are rumors if I had not seen videos on youtube.
This is the reason I bet be quiet 750 because there are no 850 watt units

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
When I was shopping for a new PSU I was looking for an 850W Plat model but the 1KW was only £5 more on sale so I got that one.

I also wanted 850 watts, but while I was waiting for a response from the service for the old power supply corsair cx850m, be quiet dark power pro 11 850 was sold out.
I told myself for the same money I would buy 1000 watts of corsair rm1000i, but when I saw dissatisfied customers I went back to be quiet dark pro 11 750
I waited 2 times for 1 month in repair shops, I have no more nerves
but a 10 year warranty is a prerequisite to get 2 new power supplies for 10 years
at the price of one

Last edited:
I also wanted 850 watts, but while I was waiting for a response from the service for the old power supply corsair cx850m, be quiet dark power pro 11 850 was sold out.
I told myself for the same money I would buy 1000 watts of corsair rm1000i, but when I saw dissatisfied customers I went back to be quiet dark pro 11 750
I waited 2 times for 1 month in repair shops, I have no more nerves
but a 10 year warranty is a prerequisite to get 2 new power supplies for 10 years
at the price of one
What's wrong with Corsair RM series? I thought they are pretty good

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
well the situation is the following that I have to choose between corsair rm1000i and be quiet dark pro 11 750
your opinions?
quality and less watts
or risk and more.watts?