[SOLVED] How many writes does SSD write per hour ?

Aug 4, 2021
My SSD is writing 14 to 15 GB of writes within two hours of usage while the task manager is showing around 5 GB of writes. I am just gaming the writes for my game are around 3 GB for 2 hours reads are more. But why crystal disk info is showing a lot of writes as compared to the task manager. I have a page file of 4 Gb but my Ram is used 60 percent I have 8 Gb of Ram.Few weeks back it was fine like 1 or 2GB of writes per hour with the same activity now it's too much. Can you suggest to me how can I find the culprit that is doing a lot of writes? or some ways to reduce the writes because I want to use my laptop don't wanna keep it on a shelf if I use my laptop for 8 hours it's gonna write 64 Gb of writes which will be too much for per day people write these much of writes within days and mine will write within a day. Yesterday I have updated the Nvidia display it wrote 4 Gb of writes why does it write a lot for even downloads and updates with few megabytes.

Solution
swap file could be culprit, try close as many background tasks as you can while gaming, 8GB is relatively on low side, which could swap a little

for your driver update question...it downloads files, it extract files, it replaces files and then windows kicks in with its system restore backups and driver backups
swap file could be culprit, try close as many background tasks as you can while gaming, 8GB is relatively on low side, which could swap a little

for your driver update question...it downloads files, it extract files, it replaces files and then windows kicks in with its system restore backups and driver backups

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 4, 2021

I have already closed all background tasks. If my Ram is not fully used still the swap file will write this much? before it wasn't writing this much but now I don't know why it's writing a lot there's no change in my activity it's the same as before Do you think my writes are normal? I am using an SSD for the first time.

I have already closed all background tasks. If my Ram is not fully used still the swap file will write this much? before it wasn't writing this much but now I don't know why it's writing a lot there's no change in my activity it's the same as before Do you think my writes are normal? I am using an SSD for the first time.
windows goes with ram usage to some percentage for active ram data...anything which is older content (like background apps) gets moved to swap if not used, so it can be reused later

you can disable swap file, but this will increase your ram load and can crash some apps if not enough ram available
or you can put swap file on secondary mechanical drive (if you have one)

My SSD is writing 14 to 15 GB of writes within two hours of usage while the task manager is showing around 5 GB of writes. I am just gaming the writes for my game are around 3 GB for 2 hours reads are more. But why crystal disk info is showing a lot of writes as compared to the task manager. I have a page file of 4 Gb but my Ram is used 60 percent I have 8 Gb of Ram.Few weeks back it was fine like 1 or 2GB of writes per hour with the same activity now it's too much. Can you suggest to me how can I find the culprit that is doing a lot of writes? or some ways to reduce the writes because I want to use my laptop don't wanna keep it on a shelf if I use my laptop for 8 hours it's gonna write 64 Gb of writes which will be too much for per day people write these much of writes within days and mine will write within a day. Yesterday I have updated the Nvidia display it wrote 4 Gb of writes why does it write a lot for even downloads and updates with few megabytes.
Where in task manager do you see this 5GB of writes?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Reads/writes of ssd have nothing to do with ram unless the amount of ram capacity is exceeded and pagefile will then use local storage as virtual ram. You could have a 100Gb pagefile or 100Mb page file and makes no difference if ram usage is at 60%.

What does affect reads/writes is cpu. If it has a constant demand load it's constantly asking storage to supply code/save code. Check your cpu load amounts or % usage when idle, shutting down background tasks is meaningless unless the associated services are also halted as well.

In the detail section of task manager I/O byte writes and read
I/O Columns of Process Explorer

• I/O Delta - The change in I/O operations since the last measurement
  • I/O Delta Bytes - The change in I/O bytes since the last measurement.
  • I/O Other - The number of input/output operations generated by a process that are neither reads nor writes, including file, network, and device I/Os. An example of this type of operation would be a control function. I/O Others directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.
  • I/O Other Bytes - The number of bytes transferred in input/output operations generated by a process that are neither reads nor writes, including file, network, and device I/Os. An example of this type of operation would be a control function. I/O Other Bytes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.
  • I/O Read Bytes - The number of bytes read in input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os. I/O Read Bytes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.
  • I/O Reads - The number of read input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os. I/O Reads directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.
  • I/O Write Bytes - The number of bytes written in input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os. I/O Write Bytes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.
  • I/O Writes - The number of write input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os. I/O Writes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.
io data counts every io happening, it dosnt show you drive usage