How much are front USB replacements?

Susana 2011

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I'm wondering what the cost would be to have the (2) USBs that this IBM clone desktop was built with replaced since they're so loose that the printer no longer could be seen as functional and the keyboard - which at times is unplugged to allow the printer, (HP all-in-one F4280) access, is also now having "looseness issues".
ALSO: Should I pay someone to do this, or do it myself (Following the instructions on a page I just read online with great step-by-step clear photos & instructions), or, ???
Please advise.
Thanks in advance!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Its pretty easy to do yourself if you choose the right method. I wouldn't try to replace the front panel USB connectors if possible. Most of these are built specific to the case and would require soldering. Pretty difficult and not worth the effort.

The easier method is to get one of the 3.5" or 5" expansion bay drives with USB ports. Its simply putting it into the port and plugging the cables into the right slots on the MB and power.

Susana 2011

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks, Falchard!
What I was specifically wondering is:
A) What the cost would be to replace, e.g., "swap out", like for like, this pair of USB ports (now I think over 6 years old? - I left the custom built unit sitting, on standby as it was, until the prior unit was no longer functioning well enough to keep up - (I think the determining factor back then was the Whoa! factor when I saw how this one responded to Internet - then still dial-up, as I recall - now, DSL for some years now...

And, B) Should I pay someone labor to do this swapout for me, or should I do it myself? (I was trained by Sperry-Univac, Irvine, CA and am a certified/competent PCB solderer from back in the late 70s! :-D So, that's no worry to me! I'm comfy with a soldering iron - Just tell me what to do & I'll do it!
What I need to determine first is:
A) Is it cost-effective
B) Is it smarter to add more while I'm at it
C) Anything else I'm missing?
D) As you indicated, perhaps I should simply pop out a blank and add a new USB array? If so, what do I connect them to, exactly?
Thanks in advance!

P.S. ~ LOVING this nook of Internet! Can't believe I've never been here until now! :-D

RE:

Susana 2011

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
My gracious!
That 2nd link is _wonderful!_ ~ That's what I was wondering ~ Was it time to upgrade? Apparently, the answer is _YES!_ :-D And, for < $10. USD ~ _Ah-MAZE-ing!_ Who knew? I am STUNNED! It seems I was suffering along in silence needlessly for far too long now!
I'll be sure to head out and get fresh USBs in the morning - Do you suppose these are readily available retail? I'd like to simply pop in to my local Best Buy and pick up a box ~ Does that seems doable, or would I need to order online from UK, etc???
Thank you so very much for the links!
I looked at both.
The first was fairly puny, to my eye - and what I was expecting for a swap out.
The 2nd blew me away with the happy surprises as to what's now available to upgrade rather than replace - and at such a very low cost, too! Amazing! :)
Thank you, again!
You've made me quite happy tonight! :)

EDIT:
OK! I'm popping back in to push my luck ~ ~ ~
Does it seem like a good idea, since I'll be opening up the case anyway, to go ahead and maybe do anything ELSE at this time?
IDK what it would be helpful to know about the system...
It has (2) DVD/CD/R-W thingies (bays?) - Neither get any use - The top has earphones jack, etc - volume, ext, it seems - A BLANK - then, the next one down is DVD, just a grey button for open/close on the lower right of that bay...
Then, an old 3.5" floppy - Remember those? They were still in use when this was custom made for me some years back! :) To the right of that are the 1) Logo of the custom computer maker's shop (now obsolete) + The (2) lights - one on a steady "green", telling me the computer's "on" - the other is orange, as I recall - I think it tells me the drive's being read/ the head's are in motion - something along those lines ~
Immediately under the 3.5" floppy bay is a blank of the same diminutive dimnensions...
Centered under that is the power on/off button on its own "bay"?
Actually, upon pausing to contemplate the unit - it seems to me the power on/off + USB pair in front + the tiny "reset" button separating them are all a part of the front panel and NOT "bays/blanks" at all ~ ~ ~ The (2) USBs are the bottom-most and "stacked" atop eachother, centered and last.
That is all.
In the back, there are circular connectivity interfaces, such as a purple one + a green one, I think for the mouse & keyboard? I think they also have USB transition parts to plug into... I think I use one for my mouse (wired) But, I have the keyboard wired to the front USB...
I know the speakers plug into the back in a similar-yet-smaller series of similarly color-coded green+ (2) other colors (pastel colors) ... I have invested in EXCELLENT >>>BOOMING BASS<<< computer speakers as of 2-4 years ago - for my birthday to myself - and LOVE THEM! - Logitech with (2) desktop + a wired remote with on/off/blue light/bass boost + a huge under-desk "boomer speaker <??> LOVE LOVE LOVE my "new" computer speakers from Best Buy! :)
Oh! And, I'm on my 2nd + flat panel monitor now - I think this one is a 24"??? I also LOVE it ~ All - in - all, I'm quite happy with things as they are and HOPE that with steady maint (read: vacuming & brushing out the dust every so often), this system will keep on keeping on for quite some time to come ~ :)
_IF_ you feel I'd be prudent to replace the power supply - or - the fan(s) - or <???> at this time, please advise! :)
Thanks in advance (And, sorry if I didn't provide the desired info. - just ask and I'll respond)
RE:

Glad to help Susana,
I posted both kinds in case you didn't have the capability to mount the second type, but as Jsc says, newegg is the go-to site for a majority of U.S. members, not sure if stores carry them but shouldn't be surprised to find that is the case
Moto

Susana 2011

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Thank you _SO VERY MUCH!_ :)
At this point, I've gone back and edited the response I typed to include what scant details I thought to share about this desktop IBM clone on the off-chance someone may wish to suggest some additional prudent purchases while I've the case open and whatnot...
Well, it's been quite lovely, really, interacting in "the old-fashioned way" I remember us all doing it, typing back & forth like this, in nearly "real time", (as we did when BBS' were the way) ~ ~ ~
OH!
My whole point is this:
When I open the case for routine cleaning / dusting, I note the fan on the MOBO has a set of flip-latches.
I've unflipped these and tugged, but never been able to release the fan.
Is the fan screwed into position, or do I simply lack the upper body/arm strength to yank it aloose?
Please advise.
Thanks!
:)

RE:

Susana 2011

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
OK!
I should have been asleep hours ago, too! :)
I'll leave the fan be as-is! ~ I use a quite thin artist's brush to get into each "fin" and dislodge the dust bunnies inside each, one-by-one.
I use a straw held into position over the crevice tool attachment of the vacuum cleaner to "suck it all away", nice & tidy! :)
Sure, it takes some time. But, it seems "worth it", so far! :)
The other fan, the one NOT on the MOBO but contained inside the power supply? The box inside the back wall - That one I simply suck the dust out of using the vacuum + poking the artist brush into the holes as I am able. It, too, takes time, but seems "worth it", so far.
No other "real dust" seems to accumulate 'cept for along the immediate inside of the several side holes designed for ventilation.
One the one side, there's nothing there but air.
On the other, the whole side's the MOBO!
Cross ventilation?
Anyway!
If it ain't broke, eh? :)

My child (now a young adult of 22+) wore out these front USBs before I ever had occasion to use them, really.
They were more "her thing" - She being interested in digital photography / music and so forth -
Now, I'm finally having a moment to regroup & revisit the situation - It seems I may even get a camera and give online sales a whirl! :)

RE:

Susana 2011

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Right you are 'bout the current happening! :)
We use the tip of a bamboo skewer as a "clutch/brake" and the tip of the artist's fine brush as a "broom", "sweeping" the dust against the "current (of air). Then, we watch it being drawn (quickly) into the crevice tool's current (Mostly blocked off, but open as much as the flexible drinking straw will allow ~
The now-22 year-old child grew up doing this with me. So, it's kind of "the way life is", around here. :)
It is raining here, in So Cal, "Where it never rains", today. So, we are in hysterics / crisis mode / staying indoors, bundled up / not daring to brave the streets, now (gasp! ~ ~ ~ __WET__ with (further gasps!) __PERCEPITATION!__
We'll go to the store and see about the part ASAP - (AFTER the roadways are BONE-DRY!) - - - Any thoughts on IF it would just make sense to let someone pop these in & swap 'em out / upgrade 'em for me? Does anyone know if the "old" Pomona Computer Fairgrounds "Swapmeet still happens? Anywhere else to go? I relied on Kevin of Human Computer 100% from 1991 until he closed up shop without saying a word, not long ago... (((sigh))) ~ ~ ~
Lost now, without him - But, able to fend for myself with the help of the online community, too! :)
Off to a scheduled (and unavoidable) online session now ~ Back after it's over ~ No rush/ no worries / it's a rainy day here! :)
RE: