How much Artic Silver.

ranger90

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I know this seems like a total newbie question.

But how much thermal cooler is enough? Can you have too little? Can you have too much?

I've got AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 754) I'm experimenting with different heatsink/fans. And I'm wondering if I'm not applying the AS5 correctly.

Like I said. It seems a simple question. But all the documentation I've read said "Apply thermal compound" And thats all.

I just want to make sure I'm doing that part of the build correctly...

Thanks in advance,
Ranger90

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

But how much thermal cooler is enough? Can you have too little? Can you have too much?

I've got AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 754) I'm experimenting with different heatsink/fans. And I'm wondering if I'm not applying the AS5 correctly.

Like I said. It seems a simple question. But all the documentation I've read said "Apply thermal compound" And thats all.

Thanks in advance,
Ranger90
I just put a small amount in middle of CPU and spread out so that a thin even layer is over entire face.

Thickness of AS5 - about same as very thin sheet of paper.

By doing it this way, you are guaranteed of total coverage even though a little bit of air might be in the paste.

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

The instructions on their website are rather thorough with pictures too!

Go with what's on their website, for crying out load they make the stuff.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Thanks in advance,
Ranger90

Since most of the heat comes from the center of the processor, you only need a pill sized drop applied to the center. You don't want to use more because as you press the CPU down it will cause the paste to spread out to the edges.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
true look at the arcticfreezer pro for the s939. 80% coverage
compared to stock, 100% coverage.
temps the same at idle but seem better underload.

The problem is that too much paste causes heat to buildup in the paste rather than being transferred to the HSF.

HP has been talking about a new surface with micro-spaces that will allow for even better transfer. If you look at a retail HSF with the thermal "tape" you will see that it only covers a portion of the center. That's a good guide as to how to apply the paste.