[SOLVED] how much better are powerline adapters then WIFI?

Oct 13, 2020
Right now I live in Texas and play on just WIFI itself and when I'm just trying to play a game like fortnite or cod and my ping can range to 60-70 ping in public lobbies. I'm trying to see if its worth getting a powerline adapter to see if it will lower it and if it does how much would you think it will lower my ping to?

Solution
A Typical ping between a device and the Router

2.4ghz WiFi 4ms-60ms @ 80% strength @ 20% capacity
It gets erratic with the more devices being used.

5ghz WiFi 2ms-10ms @ 80% strength @ 20% capacity
It has a lower range but far less erratic and can handle way more traffic.

Power Line Adapter

Modern wiring with nothing else attached to the circuit, the speed is close to an ethernet connection.
Older wiring with a few things attached to the circuit like the computer and an overhead light " 20ms-40ms"
Don't even try these with wiring below the 1980's where you see slight dimming of your lights, older switches, and fuses.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The majority of your ping is going to be from the internet server and the router and there isn't anything you can do about that. Powerline adapters "Can" help a little but they are highly dependant on the wiring and what else is attached to the circuit. A circuit might not just be the outlet your plugged into, it might be a few other outlets and devices like electric heaters, fans and anything with a motor will give feedback that can cause issues.

Reactions: Daniel4542

Cowgoesmoo2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Powerline adapters are obviously not as good as ethernet but far better than wifi.
I have an old home and stuff, so old wiring, but the powerline adapter gives me speeds that I would easily mistake for ethernet.

Reactions: Daniel4542

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A Typical ping between a device and the Router

2.4ghz WiFi 4ms-60ms @ 80% strength @ 20% capacity
It gets erratic with the more devices being used.

5ghz WiFi 2ms-10ms @ 80% strength @ 20% capacity
It has a lower range but far less erratic and can handle way more traffic.

Power Line Adapter

Modern wiring with nothing else attached to the circuit, the speed is close to an ethernet connection.
Older wiring with a few things attached to the circuit like the computer and an overhead light " 20ms-40ms"
Don't even try these with wiring below the 1980's where you see slight dimming of your lights, older switches, and fuses.

Solution
I wouldn't hesitate to try powerlines on any wiring. The technology keeps getting better and better by an order of magnitude. I tried the original 85Mbps powerlines and they couldn't get a connection across two outlets 50' away on the same circuit. Fast forward just a few years later and a 500av set would get full bandwidth in the same commercial building between outlets on different panels. I haven't even tried the newest generations yet, but am looking forward to it. :)