Question How much better is a R5 2600 (Non X version) compared to a R3 1200? (With 1050TI)

boss9014

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the performance difference between a r3 1200 and a r5 2600. Would I see massive changes in multitasking performance and games?

Would I see massive changes in multitasking performance and games?
If you are considering upgrading from a 1200 to a 2600 to improve gaming performance, I'm not sure I would bother. Do you already have the 1200 and the 1050 Ti? Have you tried overclocking the 1200 if you have it already?

If paired with a 1050 Ti at 1080p resolution, the graphics card would be limiting your performance more than anything. Some recent games can make heavy use of lots of threads, and it could smooth out performance in those titles, but in general most games still get along pretty well on a quad-core. I don't think you would see much of a performance difference in most games, and you would undoubtedly see more gaming performance gains putting that money toward an eventual graphics card upgrade.

As for multitasking, again, unless the task can fully utilize a lot of processor cores, you probably won't see that much of a difference. Perhaps when multitasking while gaming the system could be more responsive though.

Reactions: KeyMB

boss9014

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
If you are considering upgrading from a 1200 to a 2600 to improve gaming performance, I'm not sure I would bother. Do you already have the 1200 and the 1050 Ti? Have you tried overclocking the 1200 if you have it already?

If paired with a 1050 Ti at 1080p resolution, the graphics card would be limiting your performance more than anything. Some recent games can make heavy use of lots of threads, and it could smooth out performance in those titles, but in general most games still get along pretty well on a quad-core. I don't think you would see much of a performance difference in most games, and you would undoubtedly see more gaming performance gains putting that money toward an eventual graphics card upgrade.

As for multitasking, again, unless the task can fully utilize a lot of processor cores, you probably won't see that much of a difference. Perhaps when multitasking while gaming the system could be more responsive though.

Yes, I have overclocked my CPU, and it doesn't give any significant performance boost. When I play games, for example, Fortnite, I get extremely noticeable input lag, which everything seems to be pointing at the CPU, not the GPU. Everything seems smooth in-game until I get into a building fight, or as soon as enemies are nearby. Then my CPU just takes a shit and the input lag is unbearable. Yes, my temps are pretty damn high and my CPU is throttling, but my motherboard and CPU fan barely fit together the last time due to a couple of motherboard and CPU fan screw defects. I was just planning on switching my mobo and CPU, so I thought that going ryzen 5 2600 and B450 would fix my input lag problems.

Yes, I have overclocked my CPU, and it doesn't give any significant performance boost. When I play games, for example, Fortnite, I get extremely noticeable input lag, which everything seems to be pointing at the CPU, not the GPU. Everything seems smooth in-game until I get into a building fight, or as soon as enemies are nearby. Then my CPU just takes a shit and the input lag is unbearable. Yes, my temps are pretty damn high and my CPU is throttling, but my motherboard and CPU fan barely fit together the last time due to a couple of motherboard and CPU fan screw defects. I was just planning on switching my mobo and CPU, so I thought that going ryzen 5 2600 and B450 would fix my input lag problems.

Once the CPU starts warming up it will throttle and with the heatsink 'cocked', not making full contact, I can definitely see that happening here. I'd tackle the CPU heatsink/fan mounting problem first, unless you really, really want that 2600 and are just looking for an excuse.

The only other situation would be if you have a bunch of processes running also sucking on some hardware threads. Only 4 physical cores here, so simulataneously streaming 1080p video just isn't in the cards. A 2600 would indeed help with that.

boss9014

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Once the CPU starts warming up it will throttle and with the heatsink 'cocked', not making full contact, I can definitely see that happening here. I'd tackle the CPU heatsink/fan mounting problem first, unless you really, really want that 2600 and are just looking for an excuse.

The only other situation would be if you have a bunch of processes running also sucking on some hardware threads. Only 4 physical cores here, so simulataneously streaming 1080p video just isn't in the cards. A 2600 would indeed help with that.
Wait so you're saying if there isn't full contact between the CPU fan and the CPU, it could easily cause input lag? I mean I couldn't get one screw in because the screw was defective, wouldn't fit into the motherboard. Even if the screw went into the motherboard, it would pop right out of the motherboard, so I could only fully screw in 3 screws of the stock ryzen fan. The first time I built this rig, I barely connected the last CPU screw, as the screw wouldn't budge, but once I took the fan out to give it a deep cleaning, I could only put 3 screws back in. Should I just get a new MOBO and CPU fan (MOBO because that particular on board screw hole is worn out it seems)? I mean, the 2600 did look really intriguing so I wanted to get that as well.

Wait so you're saying if there isn't full contact between the CPU fan and the CPU, it could easily cause input lag? I mean I couldn't get one screw in because the screw was defective, wouldn't fit into the motherboard. Even if the screw went into the motherboard, it would pop right out of the motherboard, so I could only fully screw in 3 screws of the stock ryzen fan. The first time I built this rig, I barely connected the last CPU screw, as the screw wouldn't budge, but once I took the fan out to give it a deep cleaning, I could only put 3 screws back in. Should I just get a new MOBO and CPU fan (MOBO because that particular on board screw hole is worn out it seems)? I mean, the 2600 did look really intriguing so I wanted to get that as well.

If the processor overheats it throttles from...let's say a decent 3.7G (assuming a mild overclock) to a blisteringly bad 1.7G. That can definitely cause lag. And it just bounces around doing that, back and forth, making you think things are really messed up.

Why not just get a replacement backplate:

https://www.amazon.com/am4-backplate/s?k=am4+backplate

a lot cheaper and a lot less bother than a motherboard.

boss9014

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
If the processor overheats it throttles from...let's say a decent 3.7G (assuming a mild overclock) to a blisteringly bad 1.7G. That can definitely cause lag. And it just bounces around doing that, back and forth, making you think things are really messed up.

Why not just get a replacement backplate:

https://www.amazon.com/am4-backplate/s?k=am4+backplate

a lot cheaper and a lot less bother than a motherboard.
Hmm, that's a bit weird.. my temps are around 60-66 C while gaming... that can't be a big throttle, or can it? I'll consider your options, thanks for taking the time to help me. :)

Hmm, that's a bit weird.. my temps are around 60-66 C while gaming... that can't be a big throttle, or can it? I'll consider your options, thanks for taking the time to help me. :)

I'm just keying on your statement that the processor is heating up and you don't have even mating pressure across the heat spreader with one screw basically missing. It may not be the problem...but if it's not you might have some other processes running and consuming cycles which isn't ideal while gaming. And of course, with only 4 cores/4 threads that 1200 isn't as tolerant of a dirty gaming configuation as a 6 core/12 thread CPU would be.

I can crank my 1700 down to 2 cores/4 threads (not 4 full cores of a 1200) and still play Witcher3 at 1080p, ultra settings (except nvidia hair off), still very smoothly even when a bunch of NPC's get to moving about. Oh yeah... I also have an RX480 and the CPU is overclocked to 4G.

Last edited:

boss9014

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
I'm just keying on your statement that the processor is heating up and you don't have even mating pressure across the heat spreader with one screw basically missing. It may not be the problem...but if it's not you might have some other processes running and consuming cycles which isn't ideal while gaming. And of course, with only 4 cores/4 threads that 1200 isn't as tolerant of a dirty gaming configuation as a 6 core/12 thread CPU would be.
Alright, thanks man