[SOLVED] How much better is the 2080 ti over the 2080 (non super)

Jan 20, 2020
I currently have a 2080 NOT super version but at the end of this month I'm purchasing a 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor and I was just wondering if there's a greater difference of performance at higher resolutions compared to what I've seen, a generally small amount of difference between the 2080 and 2080 ti at 1080p in games.

Solution
As far as higher resolutions go, in games limited by graphics performance (playing the most graphically-demanding titles at max settings), a 2080 Ti can be up to around 30% faster than a 2080. At 1080p, or at reduced settings, or in less demanding games like most esports titles, the performance difference will rarely get that high though, as the CPU will typically be what's limiting frame rates.

It's probably worth at least waiting to see what kind of performance you get on the new screen first, to decide whether more performance is desired, as a 2080 should be rather good at 1440p. And at this point, it might be worth holding out on an upgrade until later in the year, since it sounds like Nvidia will likely be launching a new...
As far as higher resolutions go, in games limited by graphics performance (playing the most graphically-demanding titles at max settings), a 2080 Ti can be up to around 30% faster than a 2080. At 1080p, or at reduced settings, or in less demanding games like most esports titles, the performance difference will rarely get that high though, as the CPU will typically be what's limiting frame rates.

It's probably worth at least waiting to see what kind of performance you get on the new screen first, to decide whether more performance is desired, as a 2080 should be rather good at 1440p. And at this point, it might be worth holding out on an upgrade until later in the year, since it sounds like Nvidia will likely be launching a new generation of high-end cards sometime in the latter half.

Solution

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I am playing with a 1440p, 144hz moniture using my overclocked RTX 2080. I have no issues with performance. Playing RDR2 in Ultra (only lighting and cliometrics are on high) and usually have 60 to 75 fps, and no micro stutters. I have drops into 50 at night in cities and towns, and sometimes during sunset. But nothing to bad. Most other games are around 90 to 110fps average on Ultra. So, no reason for a 2080Ti if you only want to play in 1440p. The RTX 2080 is a beast for 1440p high and ultra gameplay.

Last edited:
I got a 2080 Ti 3 months ago only because my monitor is 4K60Hz and my RX580 was unplayable at 4K in new titles. There is no reason for it at lower resolutions. Anyways you won't have 144fps 1440p in all games even with a 2080 Ti so there is no point of getting it for those resolutions. Slower games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey are not fast paced so you don't need more than 60fps to enjoy them and you will probably use an Xbox controller to play them.

If you really want to upgrade, just wait for the RTX 3080 Ti which should be released in the summer.
That should allow 4K120Hz at least.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I got a 2080 Ti 3 months ago only because my monitor is 4K60Hz and my RX580 was unplayable at 4K in new titles. There is no reason for it at lower resolutions. Anyways you won't have 144fps 1440p in all games even with a 2080 Ti so there is no point of getting it for those resolutions. Slower games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey are not fast paced so you don't need more than 60fps to enjoy them and you will probably use an Xbox controller to play them.

If you really want to upgrade, just wait for the RTX 3080 Ti which should be released in the summer.
That should allow 4K120Hz at least.

Yes, in slower games like RDR2 you don't need the 60fps necessarily, but its nice to have. I can feel without problem just by the mouse movement looking around if the fps is over 60 or under 60. so it is a noticeable difference. And I would never play a game on PC with controller. Since controllers are awkward for me, never ever played on console! Controllers for me are the worst....