How much better is the RADEON 9600 vs Geforce 4

dagreek

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I'm looking to buy a new notebook computer for school and I have decided which one I like for the price. Compaq R3000Z series. Now here's my question, this is all on a certain buget...I can get an AMD 64 3400+ with a Gig of RAM but the only GC it comes with is the Geforce 4 440 moblie, it is 64MB dedicated memory. Or I can get an Intel Pentium 4 3.06GH with 512RAM with a RADEON 9600 64 deicated memory. So I've done a lot of reading on the CPU's and for gaming the AMD seems to be better all around. I'm not nearly as researched with graphic's cards but from what I can find the radeon is newer and better. I just want to know how much better and if the AMD chip with the extra 512RAM will make up for any lack of power from the geforce. If anyone needs better specs on the computer i'm buying I'll post them, thanks for your advice!

WannaBeNerd

Distinguished
May 7, 2004
go with the AMD. im an admitted Intel fanboy, but in this case im going to have to go with the AMD.

the P4 3.06 is a piece of crap

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
The AMD System spec are better than Intel system spec. Notebook and desktop version of the same gpu are totally different products. If you REALLY want to play game with your laptop, you should consider gamer notebook, you might even find some of them USED that would perform really well.

What kind of game you plan to run on your laptop?

I personnaly have a GeForce GO in my DELL laptop (P4 Mobile 1.4GHz), it's probably an MX440, I actually never checked. I can run WarCraft III OK, but it's not very smooth.

The EXTRA ram can't replace RAW GPU power.

You should buy the AMD64 based laptop if you plan to keep it for a while. The system is 64bit ready.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

Depend son the games.

For the graphics card, there a HUGE differece ther. The R9600mobile will make a big difference in some games. The GF4 440GO is not anywhere near the same class of card, it compares with the Mobile Radeon 7500 really.

If you're planning on playing games I'd say go with the Intel and the R9600. The AMD is a Great chip, I plan on getting one myself, but for gaming of any kind anything less than the GF4 4200GO, preferable the 5100GO or better will hold you back significantly.

Also a good question is whether you plan on gamming on the native resolutio of the LCD, if so, which is which? Do you plan on hooking the computer up to a CRT for gaming?

To me the difference between the AMD and Intel are small, yet the difference between the GFGO and MobRad are large.

If it were a Celeron 2GHZ, then maybe it'd be worth the advanatage, but really, I don't think so at this level.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yes, and i agree with GrapeApe's post above yours

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

dagreek

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
so after listening to everyone's advice I've made a choice...I really to believe what you've all told me from my own knowlege and research I understand notebooks are not good for gaming but I do need to have notebook for school and my buget was 1,500$ so I went a little over but I can't go over enough for a gaming notebook 3,000+ I'm going to get a Compaq 3000T Pentium 4 3.06GHz, 512RAM, 64MB Radeon 9600, 40GB hard drive, display 1280x800 . I'm an IT student so I will mostly be writing programs on it, but I do like to play games and watch movies so I geuss I will manage the best I can until I'm able to afford a seperate desktop. Still I won't order for a few more days incase anyone knows a simalar or better system around 1,650$ I'm all ears. Thanks again for the advice, I hope in the future I can help some of you.

Lowering the resolution wouldn't do much for the GF4 440GO.

One thing to consider is how well games will play with that widescreen resolution, as some of the games don't like playing outside of their normal resolution. So support widescreen others just crapout. However I would say that the compaq is still a good choice, and that the widescreen will be nice for movies.

Also think about the 64 bit aspect for your IT side of things. As much as I like games and movies, I have a Gaming Rig, an Editing Rig, and a Home Theatre, so my choices may be different from yours. So consider whether you think have 64 bit would be better for your studies. I think for day to day stuff they will perform close enough to each other, and if you can use a cheap CRT on your desk , then the Mob R9600 will clobber the other rig.

Just things to consider. If you can get non widescreen, get it so you have more gaming chances, if you prefer movies more, then stick with the widescreen.

As always, just my two frames' worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

dagreek

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Thanks for all the great advice, I've read all of the post more than once. I really wish this computer could come with the option of a better GPU but I think I will probably go with the AMD computer partly because of the price and party because of the chip. The AMD will far a lot better power wise over the P4 which has horrible power savings. Also I do like the wide screen for movies! I'll be ok if I can play my old game quake 3 area, and maybe Halo? I never played it on PC but I love FPS's so if I can get a couple older ones running i'll be ok.