[SOLVED] How much better is the Scythe Shuriken 2 than the stock intel cooler (for an i5 10400) in terms of temps and noise?

Banqu0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015
After 2 weeks I'm still looking for a lightweight cooler for a computer I will be moving around often and found the Scythe Shuriken 2. There's plenty of comparisons to stock available for the Noctua NH-l91 which I had been looking at but unfortunately that cooler seems to perform kind of badly. No back plate either which is a no go. I want as little stress on the board as possible. The Shuriken looks good as far as physical specs, but there's scant info on how it compares in performance to stock, only to other coolers. I'm not overclocking or anything, I just want reasonably cool temps and low noise.

Solution
all depends on the temperatures you're expecting with any particular CPU.

plus case airflow and all other hardware components;
including what fans you are using for intake & exhaust, their placement, & their orientation.

you talk about transportation, why are you dealing with desktops vs laptops or tablets then?

depending on these variants you could get by with a cheaper cooler, with cheaper fans, and lower noise.
but the entire purpose needs to be shared for real advice.

normally i would only recommend either;
be quiet! Dark Rock 4 series
or Noctua NH-D15 series air coolers.

any decent manufacturer will provide 1700 mounting hardware;
if they don't, don't bother with them.
all depends on the temperatures you're expecting with any particular CPU.

plus case airflow and all other hardware components;
including what fans you are using for intake & exhaust, their placement, & their orientation.

you talk about transportation, why are you dealing with desktops vs laptops or tablets then?

depending on these variants you could get by with a cheaper cooler, with cheaper fans, and lower noise.
but the entire purpose needs to be shared for real advice.

normally i would only recommend either;
be quiet! Dark Rock 4 series
or Noctua NH-D15 series air coolers.

any decent manufacturer will provide 1700 mounting hardware;
if they don't, don't bother with them.

Solution

Banqu0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015
Not sure how relevant my reasons for moving it is. Probably the most resource intensive task will be gaming, thought that's not it's primary function. Case is a fractal design define mini, 2 front fans and one rear exhaust. GTX 750ti. No other power hungry components are used. The 10400 is a 1200 socket and a mere 65W with no OC, so I'm not expecting high temps anyway. I just wanted to know if it performs better than stock and is quieter. It's worth the $39 just for the noise reduction alone.

Not sure how relevant my reasons for moving it is.
no one has asked why you would be moving the system.
but why you would want to be moving a desktop "around often" when you can just get a portable system such as a laptop.
you can very likely be ruining the motherboard and/or other components by stressing their connections with a lot of transportation.

the Shuriken 2 is better than the stock Intel coolers, which aren't very good at all, but not by much.

Scythe makes good coolers and the fans are quiet.
But, if you want an effective cooler, avoid top down coolers.
The intel stock cooler is decent, up to a point.
But, the pushpin mounts are a bit delicate if your will be bouncing the cooler around.
I think I might look for the noctua NH-U12s redux which sells for about $50.
The 120mm fan is as quiet as they come, and the mounting system is simple and sturdy.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Scythe Shuriken is marginally better than stock intel cooler, no point in going for it unless you're building a home theather pc in some silly tiny mini itx case.

Scythe is actually a very decent if lesser known brand of air coolers that has been around for 20 years or so. If you want to trying a formidable cooler from that brand, i'd suggest going for something like Mugen 5 or Ninja 5. They do have LGA1700 backplate mounting kit ( but as it many coolers atm, it's sold separately as optional accessory)

https://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/ninja-5.html

Banqu0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015
Scythe makes good coolers and the fans are quiet.
But, if you want an effective cooler, avoid top down coolers.
The intel stock cooler is decent, up to a point.
But, the pushpin mounts are a bit delicate if your will be bouncing the cooler around.
I think I might look for the noctua NH-U12s redux which sells for about $50.
The 120mm fan is as quiet as they come, and the mounting system is simple and sturdy.

1.6 pounds. oof. That's too tubby of a cooler. My last air cooler was 1.5 and did some damage after a move. I really need to minimize board stress as the computer will be moved from time to time and I'd rather not have to remove a big ass cooler on every occasion its moved.

Banqu0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015
no one has asked why you would be moving the system.
but why you would want to be moving a desktop "around often" when you can just get a portable system such as a laptop.
you can very likely be ruining the motherboard and/or other components by stressing their connections with a lot of transportation.

the Shuriken 2 is better than the stock Intel coolers, which aren't very good at all, but not by much.

A laptop is not suitable for my purposes.

Banqu0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015
unless by "purposes" you mean your wallet, there is nothing a desktop can do that an equally powerful laptop cannot.

I've yet to see a laptop that can accommodate 24 TB of storage space. As far as performance, a laptop would not be economically viable compared to a PC. I already have most of the hardware I need for a PC anyway. Simply put, I'm not going to get a laptop.