[SOLVED] How much can case fans improve a single fan aio’s performance?

HOLDERofFOOD

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
I bought a prebuilt cyber power that has a single fan 120mm aio on an 11900kf pushing air out the rear. It has two intake fans stacked vertically toward the front on the side of the case.

I haven’t opened it yet because reviews say cooling is an issue and I’m concerned about voiding the warranty by repasting a new aio.

My question is, how much can I theoretically improve the cooling, particularly on the cpu, by just adding case fans? I’m also wondering if anyone has a recommended set up for the fans. I guess I personally would like to avoid negative pressure and dust build up but if it’ll make my pc run way better I’m open to it. I’ll paste a link to the pc on Best Buy too so you can see the cooling set up.

Thanks so much everyone!

the pc: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...tx-3080-1tb-ssd-black/6452136.p?skuId=6452136

Solution
My question is, how much can I theoretically improve the cooling, particularly on the cpu, by just adding case fans?
Very little, to not at all. The 120mm hybrid cooler installed at the rear is getting its air from the top, so that's good, but a 120mm hybrid isn't adequate for an 11900K at all.
You won't be able to do anything demanding without seeing that cpu push 80C+ core temperatures.

I’m also wondering if anyone has a recommended set up for the fans.
Change the side fans to intake as opposed to the exhaust they are in the pictures. Some users have peeves with how fans look - you know, the other side looks 'ugly' - IDK how you feel about that.
As for the cooler's fan, there's really nothing that could be done there...

HOLDERofFOOD

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
"how much" is absolutely unknown until you get the thing up and running, and monitor the temps.

More fans is not always better.
Fans are not magical, they serve one purpose...move air through the case.

Looking at the setup in the pics from Best Buy, do you think there could be a more optimal set up? I’m thinking maybe flipping the direction of the aio fan (assuming I can flip it without repasting), then three fans pushing exhaust through the top if I can fit them. But also I know they’re not magical of course, it’s just a question of, if the airflow isn’t as efficient as it could be, could making it more efficient improve how well an aio performs, or is the aio more or less a closed system where variations in case temps will only effect the aio by a couple degrees max?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My question is, how much can I theoretically improve the cooling, particularly on the cpu, by just adding case fans?
Very little, to not at all. The 120mm hybrid cooler installed at the rear is getting its air from the top, so that's good, but a 120mm hybrid isn't adequate for an 11900K at all.
You won't be able to do anything demanding without seeing that cpu push 80C+ core temperatures.

I’m also wondering if anyone has a recommended set up for the fans.
Change the side fans to intake as opposed to the exhaust they are in the pictures. Some users have peeves with how fans look - you know, the other side looks 'ugly' - IDK how you feel about that.
As for the cooler's fan, there's really nothing that could be done there, I think, when the cooler itself is too small.

I guess I personally would like to avoid negative pressure and dust build up...
Gonna have to compromise.
Dust. It's inevitable, but it just so happens to be less of a thing in more airflow strained models. Go figure.
But the same also applies for the whole positive/neutral/negative pressure debate. Airflow strained models lean heavily towards negative pressure, where as with more open models, none of it matters, because there's enough open gaps that there is no pressure.
Of course, with weaker airflow comes worse thermals...

The 3080 looks to be a blower/turbo card; I don't see any side vents that are normal with the aftermarket designs.

Solution

HOLDERofFOOD

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016

As for the cooler's fan, there's really nothing that could be done there, I think, when the cooler itself is too small.

Gonna have to compromise.
Dust. It's inevitable, but it just so happens to be less of a thing in more airflow strained models. Go figure.
But the same also applies for the whole positive/neutral/negative pressure debate. Airflow strained models lean heavily towards negative pressure, where as with more open models, none of it matters, because there's enough open gaps that there is no pressure.
Of course, with weaker airflow comes worse thermals...

The 3080 looks to be a blower/turbo card; I don't see any side vents that are normal with the aftermarket designs.

whoops sorry I quoted but didn’t type (I don’t use forums often), but yeah that was my main question that the AIO just won’t cut it, super bummer. Been trying really hard to find a reasonably priced 3080 prebuilt in stock (granted this is arguably above reasonable) but finally snagging this one I’m thinking I may have to void the warranty if I want to keep it.
In terms of the fan set up funny enough I thought those were intake fans but definitely that makes sense to me. Also couldn’t care less about how they look if it means my pc has to run worse, I didn’t buy it to look at it haha but I get it. Thanks for all of your advice! Maybe if I pay geek squad to put a new aio they won’t void my Best Buy warranty (I’ve heard it both ways from people at BB so def a fishy move to make).

Reactions: Phaaze88

HOLDERofFOOD

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
The rear AIO fan needs to pump out the back. Leave it as is.

The two on the "side"...also leave them.
Assuming they are bring in air from the other side, that is what they need to do.

All being exhaust is not optimal. You need to bring air in, and push air out.
Okay awesome, good to know, thank you for the advice! Really hoping it doesn’t throttle too much.