Question How much can I oc my CPU?

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Hi guys. So I know that the amount of overclocking you can do to a CPU varies between every cpu, but mostly you need a better PSU and Cooler for more overclocking. So I was wondering... Besides the psu and cooler is there any other thing that limits the overclocking possibilities on a cpu?

I'm asking because I don't really know how much to spend on my cpu cooler. I'm getting an i5 9600k and I was thinking of a Dark Rock Pro 4, but the price range on the pro 4 is quite high compared to the i5.. And I was wondering.. Is it worth it to get it? Or since the cpu is an i5 i would get pretty much the same oc's with a dark rock pro 4 and a dark rock 4 (or some liquid cooling like auraflow 240) and the pro 4 only makes a difference on higher-end cpus, where you can actually oc a lot higher?

I would like to know your opinions guys, since I'm on a budget, which one should I get?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the motherboard power delivery is just as important. overclocking increases the power draw for the cpu by A LOT!! your motherboard needs to be able to handle giving this power, that includes cooling the vrm's on the mobo to keep them working their best. overclocking is a true "weakest link" occupation. everything effects the results and whatever can hold it back will.

then the silicon lottery comes into play as well which you already know.

Apr 26, 2019
For overclocking you need a decent rig in general. Not only will you need a good cooler but you will also need a good motherboard. Make sure you get a motherboard with overclocking capabilities and do your research before purchasing it. Choose a CPU cooler that has a good price to performance level. A liquid cooler would be best for overclocking. I would recommend a 240mm cooler if you plan use liquid cooling. It helps a lot. With the 9600k you could get it up to 5 GHz depending on if the 9600k you have is a "good one" and you have adequate cooling. If you have never overclocked before than watch a couple videos on it to help. Just don't mess around with the voltage too much if you aren't experienced.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
For overclocking you need a decent rig in general. Not only will you need a good cooler but you will also need a good motherboard. Make sure you get a motherboard with overclocking capabilities and do your research before purchasing it. Choose a CPU cooler that has a good price to performance level. A liquid cooler would be best for overclocking. I would recommend a 240mm cooler if you plan use liquid cooling. It helps a lot. With the 9600k you could get it up to 5 GHz depending on if the 9600k you have is a "good one" and you have adequate cooling. If you have never overclocked before than watch a couple videos on it to help. Just don't mess around with the voltage too much if you aren't experienced.
What do you think about z370-p II?

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
the motherboard power delivery is just as important. overclocking increases the power draw for the cpu by A LOT!! your motherboard needs to be able to handle giving this power, that includes cooling the vrm's on the mobo to keep them working their best. overclocking is a true "weakest link" occupation. everything effects the results and whatever can hold it back will.

then the silicon lottery comes into play as well which you already know.
Is z370-p ii alright?