Question how much can i sell my pc for?

desired70

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2015
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1660 (MSI model)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
Storage: 1tb hdd WD Blue
PSU / CASE: EVGA 600W Power Supply | Cooler Master N600
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

i want to sell my pc in the near future so i wanted to know how much its worth system is about 5-7 years old.

Unfortunately not much, a couple hundred bucks for the whole system, at most given its age.
However, if you part the system out you are likely to get a little more money, but will likely have a harder time selling every component.
(For example, around this time last year I sold an 8350 on ebay for 125).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTX 1660 is worth a bit somewhere between $100-150.

DDR3 should still sell, but you would be looking at like $30.

Yeah, FX- 8350 do vary a bit, between $45 and $85 on the regular, with the occasional sale of greater than $100 for used chips. Makes you wonder. New in box are still commanding a high price.

Working 970 motherboard, about $50-85

You could probably ask $300 altogether (remember you have to offset the shipping, otherwise a person can go order a refurb machine that is faster with free shipping)

Moderator:

I will be facing a similar situation as OP within 6 months.

I have NO ebay experience on buying or selling computer stuff.

Do you have a rough estimate of likely typical price differential between selling board/RAM/CPU as a unit rather than as 3 pieces? i5-6600K/ 2x4 kit DDR4/AsRock Z170 mATX board in my case.

I generally dread the ebay experience and would prefer selling as unit unless price differential were double (350 versus 175 for instance). I want minimal hassle likelihood.

Looking for any insight due to ebay inexperience for over a decade.
Since its still information that would help the OP ill reply here.
The price differences usually depend on the hardware in question, for example if selling older gen hardware in a bundle, most people view the RAM as essentially "free" since its resale value is low, and they typically pay a little under going rate for the CPU+MOBO in a combo.
I wouldnt say its double the price parting out though, its not a major difference. Another option is selling local, its usually easier to sell bundles locally, and individual parts online.

Reactions: Lafong

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Moderator:

I will be facing a similar situation as OP within 6 months.

I have NO ebay experience on buying or selling computer stuff.

Do you have a rough estimate of likely typical price differential between selling board/RAM/CPU as a unit rather than as 3 pieces? i5-6600K/ 2x4 kit DDR4/AsRock Z170 mATX board in my case.

I generally dread the ebay experience and would prefer selling as unit unless price differential were double (350 versus 175 for instance). I want minimal hassle likelihood.

Looking for any insight due to ebay inexperience for over a decade.

It's hard to tell. Generally speaking, it's easier to sell newer parts as a bundle; people buying older parts are usually replacing something or looking for a really good deal.

OP: For a straight sale, I'd ask for $300 and be prepared to take less. I'd start an eBay auction at $150. There's nothing compelling about this build that would encourage people to want it as a unit. The GPU is a good budget 1080p card that you can get $100-$120 for, but the FX stuff is a decade old and was particularly disappointing for gamers even back then; the best market here is individual for someone who really wants to replace an AM3+ part. Not knowing details about the PSU worries me. There are a few EVGA PSUs at specifically 600W that should be in recycling before this system (the W1, the 600B) and none of their really good PSUs are at this wattage. If you sold me a 1660 with a decade old platform and made me pay for a PSU, I'd want it to be something I'd be willing to take to the next upgrade.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will take another tack based on my own experience with DDR3 systems.

Since W11 launched and pretty much every machine older than 8th gen/2xxx can't (officially) "upgrade" to it, the price of systems older than that has tanked hard and is going to continue to tank as we get closer to W10 EOL.
I used to be able to sell sticks of DDR3 from Samsung or Hynix at ~$25 a pop on CL (8GB). Now, I can't give them away.
I used to sell the heck out of Dell Optiplex systems ~4th gen for $100+ a pop. I can't give them away.

The FX series are often less desirable than core parts due to their performance. Without iGPU it has to have a GPU with it, so that can be a detractor for many folks. I personally see your target as someone with an existing AM3+ system looking to upgrade.

In my own opinion of it, sell the GPU for what you can get and gift the rest to someone in need, or be prepared to part and sit while you wait on offers. I would possible take a look at eBay to see what they are actually selling for (as components) and how often (by date) as typically that is going to be your best $ venue. Here in ATL, trying to sell that whole on something like CL would likely be fruitless.

edit- as an example I sold a 2700X system with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1080, RM750x PSU in a nice Phanteks case for just over $500 and it took me a month. This was right AFTER the crypto crash.

Reactions: Lafong

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Punkncat's example is of a PC that is desirable to buy as a whole. The CPU can be upgraded to Zen 3 CPUs and get a big performance boost without needing a new platform, the GTX 1080 is still powerful, in the range of a 3060, and the PSU is rock-solid and can take all sorts of upgrades, short of something like a 3090 Ti.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1660 (MSI model)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
Storage: 1tb hdd WD Blue
PSU / CASE: EVGA 600W Power Supply | Cooler Master N600
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

i want to sell my pc in the near future so i wanted to know how much its worth system is about 5-7 years old.
Worth will vary by buyer.

If you have a local newspaper with a classified section put it up for sale see what you get for offers.

If you can sell it local shipping cost will vanish.

TRENDING THREADS