How much can my power supply handle

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
So i have a ryzen 5 1600, 16gb of tridentz rgb, wanting to do a custom loop, and currently a 650 ti waiting for the 2000 series graphic cards and i only have the evga 550w b3. Will this power supply handle all of that? Just as a guess of course bc the 2000 series cards are not out. Yet...

Solution

The pump should be only part of the loop that requires power.

You would need to look at the specs of the pump for wattage info.

If you take the graphics card out of your computer the computer consumes at peak about 169 watts.

Meaning theoretically you could put in even a 250 watt Geforce 1080Ti if you did not use a pump.
(I'd upgrade to a stronger power supply if you went the Geforce 1080Ti route.)

More realistically a Geforce 1060 6GB would work nicely assuming...

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

what is the only thing in a loop that takes power. pump? and also is the psu enough for a new graphics card?

The pump should be only part of the loop that requires power.

You would need to look at the specs of the pump for wattage info.

If you take the graphics card out of your computer the computer consumes at peak about 169 watts.

Meaning theoretically you could put in even a 250 watt Geforce 1080Ti if you did not use a pump.
(I'd upgrade to a stronger power supply if you went the Geforce 1080Ti route.)

More realistically a Geforce 1060 6GB would work nicely assuming the pump isn't crazy high wattage.

Solution

He means the power supply

EVGA 550 B3, 80+ BRONZE 550W

I use nothing but gold, platinum or titanium rated power supplies in my computers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

The metals correspond to the efficiency of the power supply which almost always corresponds with the quality of the power supply.

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

Thats the pump http://ttpremium.com/product/pacific-p1-black-d5-pump/. I dont need 1080 ti most i would ever really need is a 1070. the only thing im missing from my build is a new gpu and the loop. and another question. I have custom cables for the 550w b3. would that work on say a 750w b3 (example)

harrysmellington

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
It's really not necessary to upgrade the PSU, A pump will never exceed 50W (most pumps will be in the ~20W region), so that leaves 500 for the rest. As derekullo has pointed out the system without the graphics card is 169W, so total is ~220W, leaving 330W, more than enough.

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

What gpu do u recommend for me leading into future games

The PSU you need is primarily gated by the graphics configuration.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
A 550w unit will support perhaps a GTX1080.

GTX1070 should be an appropriate graphics card.
Future cards will probably not be more power hungry than the equivalent cards of today.

If the time comes that you want a GTX1080ti class card, you will want to change out the PSU, and you may find that ryzen is not the best for driving such a card.
Many games are cpu limited, think strategy, sims, and MMO.
It is the fast action shooters that need fast graphics cards.

Save your money until you find a game that needs more.

And FWIW, buy a liquid cooler only if you are doing it to get record seeking overclocks.
A good air cooler will be cheaper, more reliable, quieter and will not leak.

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

im not worried about price. i simply want a pc that looks really good lookin

harrysmellington

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

Well, given the current market for GPUs (thanks crypto) pretty much none of the GPUs out there are priced correctly. You'll want to wait for a new release. If you must get a GPU now, look for brick and mortar PC shops near you for a decent price, usually they never drop nor raise their prices as they typically experience low demand.

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

define c all the way ;)

Hoppin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

im in no hurry. i just need the gpu so i can start the loop

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The metals correspond to the efficiency of the power supply which almost always corresponds with the quality of the power supply

That is wrong on alot of levels. Higher quality components can often lead to less efficiency. There are many crap white and bronze units. And there are still crap Gold units and alot of overpriced ones there.

Do not use efficiency ratings as a source, always judge the PSU by its model and professional reviews.

The EVGA B3 has quite good performance/build quality. The only downfall, which is a very big problem, is the lack/non-functioning OPP which means this power supply is a fire hazard.