how much CFM and mmH2O do i need for radiator fans?

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
hi

I will have a ID Cooling Frostflow+ 280mm aio, so the cpu should be as cool as possible, because I am going to overclocked the cpu.

My case is carbide 400c and the cpu is i7 8700k

so what do you think?

also, i've been thinking would it be better to have more CFM less mmH2O or less CFM more mmH2O?

many thanks

Solution
Currently own the Evga clc 280mm radiator with 4 Noctua fans on a push/pull configuration.
The performance increase from the stock evga fans is huge, almost 10C cooler for me.
I now run my 8700k @5.1 Ghz with only 70C.

And yes, you are right on track when looking at the Nf A14 ippc3000. That is noctua's strongest 140mm fan.
Based on the specs they provide, I don't think there is any other 140mm fan on the market that offer higher static pressure and air flow. If you don't care about noise and target pure performance, this is the one for you. This is also the fan i'm using.

Lutfij

Titan
You need fans with high static pressure, that is mmH2O. What sort of budget do you have set for purchasing fans? In retrospect the fans that come bundled with the cooler are adequate for the job. If you're looking at coordinating a theme or perhaps look into some proper temps, then adding more money to the build with aftermarket fans is justified.

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
what about noctua nf-a14 ippc 2000/3000rpm and ek-furious Vardar evo 140 2500rpm, I heard that fans comes with big CFM and mmH2O
I don't really care about noise at all, all I just want is performance

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018
Currently own the Evga clc 280mm radiator with 4 Noctua fans on a push/pull configuration.
The performance increase from the stock evga fans is huge, almost 10C cooler for me.
I now run my 8700k @5.1 Ghz with only 70C.

And yes, you are right on track when looking at the Nf A14 ippc3000. That is noctua's strongest 140mm fan.
Based on the specs they provide, I don't think there is any other 140mm fan on the market that offer higher static pressure and air flow. If you don't care about noise and target pure performance, this is the one for you. This is also the fan i'm using.

Solution