[SOLVED] How much cinebench score difference is acceptable

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
So i ran a cinebench r23 test on my ryzen 5 2600x and i got a multicore score of 7120 and on cpu-monkey it showed a score of 7514 for the same cpu. Is this acceptable? I havent done any overclocks and i had nothing significant running in the background. Temps went up to 76 degrees on 100% load.

Solution
Ryzen is very temperature sensitive for performance so cooling can make a big difference. It's especially the case with CB23 since it makes longer tests with repeated runs in order to thermally saturate weak cooling and shake out pretenders.

But system setup in general is a major factor in achieving optimum performance even if not overclocking. So be sure to run the latest BIOS, AMD chipset drivers and setup BIOS for proper performance.

Previous CB releases weren't very memory sensitive, meaning performance results scaled only a little with faster/low latency memory. I'm not sure if CB23 has changed that but simply using XMP usually leaves memory with loose timing settings and the higher latency that results. Tweaking memory timings...
Ryzen is very temperature sensitive for performance so cooling can make a big difference. It's especially the case with CB23 since it makes longer tests with repeated runs in order to thermally saturate weak cooling and shake out pretenders.

But system setup in general is a major factor in achieving optimum performance even if not overclocking. So be sure to run the latest BIOS, AMD chipset drivers and setup BIOS for proper performance.

Previous CB releases weren't very memory sensitive, meaning performance results scaled only a little with faster/low latency memory. I'm not sure if CB23 has changed that but simply using XMP usually leaves memory with loose timing settings and the higher latency that results. Tweaking memory timings for lowest latency could make a difference if so.

Lastly, there's always something running in the background and even insignificant things impact Cinebench scores. So disable anything you can that starts in the system tray then do a re-start. Start up CB immediately, then start up Task Manager and set Cinebench priority to 'Realtime'.

Then start the multithread BM run. When running you lose everything else even the display of the picture that's rendering and mouse movement so just wait it out, all 10 minutes or so of the BM run. You don't have to set it to RealTime for the single thread test, though. I've never had it affect score on my system.

Last edited:
Solution

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016

Previous CB releases weren't very memory sensitive, meaning performance results scaled only a little with faster/low latency memory. I'm not sure if CB23 has changed that but simply using XMP usually leaves memory with loose timing settings and the higher latency that results. Tweaking memory timings for lowest latency could make a difference if so.

Lastly, there's always something running in the background and even insignificant things impact Cinebench scores. So disable anything you can that starts in the system tray then do a re-start. Start up CB immediately, then start up Task Manager and set Cinebench priority to 'Realtime'.

Then start the multithread BM run. When running you lose everything else even the display of the picture that's rendering and mouse movement so just wait it out, all 10 minutes or so of the BM run. You don't have to set it to RealTime for the single thread test, though. I've never had it affect score on my system.
Thanks, ill try running it on RealTime. Also my ram is only 2660 mhz so thats probably it, and im using a stock cooler.

TRENDING THREADS