How much cost 2gb of dd2 and 2gb of ddr3

krenar41

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
i know that ddr3 is faster than ddr2 but on many websites the prices of ddr2 and ddr3 are the same . I thought faster and better is always more expensive.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah when tech is new that is true. DDR3 has been around a while now and the factories had to be retooled to manufacture the newer DDR3. So DDR2 is no longer being made or at least no longer being made in any kind of quantities.
The same thing happened to DDR when DDR2 was new. The sweet spot for buying DDR2 was about a year ago when the market was flooded.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
DDR2 is still being mass produced by every DRAM manufacturer. It is almost certain there is MORE DDR2 being manufactured than DDR3 right now. e.g. Newegg's motherboard catalog has:

192 hits for DDR2 boards

141 hits for DDR3 boards

Not even the OEMs have completely switched to DDR3, and the big OEMs buy many times more RAM than all the DIY builders and upgraders combined. A quick check of the sub-$1000 desktop and laptop models available from HP and DELL show that most OEM systems are shipping with DDR2.

D

Deleted member 217926

Ok I checked and its actually about 50/50 right now with DDR3 taking the lead by early 2010. However with Intel no longer supporting DDR2 in any new chipsets and AMD recommending DDR3 for all its new chipsets its only a matter of time before DDR2 goes the way of DDR. So I misspoke and should have said yes it is still being made just not in the same quantities as when it was the only game in town. And of course there are more older tech boards for sale both from both newegg and the OEMs as both buy in bulk to keep prices down and not everyone can afford to adopt new tech as soon as it come out.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/ddr3_shipments_surpass_ddr2_2010_says_supplier
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=220600899&pgno=2

Many good answers have been given here explaining why the price of DDR2 and DDR3 are about the same right now.
The other underlying flaw in your thinking is just because something costs more money, does not mean it is better or faster..
Just wait until DDR2 production is ramped down in favor of DDR3, probably sometime in the next 6-12 months, and then try to buy some. As it becomes more scarce in the market, but yet a lot of people will still need it for upgrades, it will be more expensive than DDR3.