Question How much could filling up my SSD affect performance?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Hi I have a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus. I contacted my Local IT Group who installed these SSDs and apparently the cost of a full data transfer to a 2TB version of it would cost me about £300 which I do not have spare to spend. Still there will be some storage left but under 50GB for sure. If I do "fill up" my current 1TB SSD should I expect performance losses and if so by how much?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi I have a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus. I contacted my Local IT Group who installed these SSDs and apparently the cost of a full data transfer to a 2TB version of it would cost me about £300 which I do not have spare to spend. Still there will be some storage left but under 50GB for sure. If I do "fill up" my current 1TB SSD should I expect performance losses and if so by how much?
It affects both performance and lifespan.
50GB free out of a 1TB is not enough free space.

How do you figure more drive space will cost £300 ?
Is this a desktop or laptop?

If a desktop, just add more drives. Probably under £100 for another 1TB.

If replacing the 1TB for a 2TB, your only cost is the new drive. Software and labor are pretty much $0.

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
It affects both performance and lifespan.
50GB free out of a 1TB is not enough free space.

How do you figure more drive space will cost £300 ?
Is this a desktop or laptop?

If a desktop, just add more drives. Probably under £100 for another 1TB.

If replacing the 1TB for a 2TB, your only cost is the new drive. Software and labor are pretty much $0.
Laptop. Apparently for the data transfer it would be around £100 and then another £200ish for the new drive itself.
Other components are:
2x 8GB 2667mhz RAM (plan to upgrade to 2x 16GB 3200mhz)
i7 8750H with iGPU
RTX 2070MQ 8GB

USAFRet

Titan
Laptop. Apparently for the data transfer it would be around £100 and then another £200ish for the new drive itself.
Other components are:
2x 8GB 2667mhz RAM (plan to upgrade to 2x 16GB 3200mhz)
i7 8750H with iGPU
RTX 2070MQ 8GB
Do you hae some other drive, with about 1TB actual free space? Some external thing.
Maybe borrow one?

Of so, that £100 for the data transfer is FREE. You can do that yourself. We can talk you through that easy process.
All you'd need is a new, larger drive.

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Do you hae some other drive, with about 1TB actual free space? Some external thing.
Maybe borrow one?

Of so, that £100 for the data transfer is FREE. You can do that yourself. We can talk you through that easy process.
All you'd need is a new, larger drive.
both M2 slots on my laptop used (one 256GB Samsung 970 Plus with the boot stufs) so I cant exactly buy another for extra storage. Most of my main storage is taken up by games and I can only really free up 1/2GB of space by clearing files/downloads. Most of the stuff stored can't really be stored to an external drive as most are games or use folders they need saved in Windows %appdata% to work.

USAFRet

Titan
both M2 slots on my laptop used (one 256GB Samsung 970 Plus with the boot stufs) so I cant exactly buy another for extra storage. Most of my main storage is taken up by games and I can only really free up 1/2GB of space by clearing files/downloads. Most of the stuff stored can't really be stored to an external drive as most are games or use folders they need saved in Windows %appdata% to work.
What specific drives are in this?
2x M.2 drives?

Specific make/model/sizes, please.

A screencap of your Disk Management window would work here.

TRENDING THREADS