[SOLVED] How much current does a RTX 2060 pull on the 8-pin?

zerthead

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I am looking to upgrade my PC's GPU to a RTX 2060. Unfortunately, my PC only has a 300-watt PSU without a 8-pin connector. The case and PSU is non-atx SFF, so I cannot upgrade the PSU. So I am thinking to power the new GPU's 8-pin with an external PSU but I need to know how powerful it needs to be.

What is the max current (or watts) the GPU would use on the 8-pin connector?

Solution
I would ony reccomend just using another ATX PSU if you absolutely have to.

PCIe slot 75w max
6 pin 75w max
8 pin 150w max.

The 8 pin will draw less than 150w most instances, but power supplies with 8 pins dont generally come in low wattages.

So you will need a decent PSU with an 8 pin to use as an external PSU.

bioax

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Based on the RTX 2060 founder's edition I saw on their website, the gpu drew 160W of power. I'm not sure if purchasing the same card from a different manufacturer will change how much power is drawn, but I would go with around at least 200-250W.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Any quality PSU that comes equipped with at least 1 x 6+2 pin connector should be fine for that GPU. It has a TDP of 175W. Some 3rd party 2060s hit 225W+ in testing. So you'll want the PSU to have a +12v rating of that much and more.

I would ony reccomend just using another ATX PSU if you absolutely have to.

PCIe slot 75w max
6 pin 75w max
8 pin 150w max.

The 8 pin will draw less than 150w most instances, but power supplies with 8 pins dont generally come in low wattages.

So you will need a decent PSU with an 8 pin to use as an external PSU.

Solution