Question How much damage could PSU short cause?

eleazar.duzon

Prominent
Apr 18, 2018
My pc suddenly stopped working and at first I could not figure out why.

I proceeded to dismantle it and do a thorough check and found that one cable from the PSU going to the GPU was burnt and disconnected.

I am worried that it damaged the whole system because I tried turning it on without the GPU (before I saw the damage) and it still did not work.

v9atksg.jpg

Depends on the quality of the PSU.
Seeing as you are using a molex to presumably PCIe connection, Im guessing its not very high quality.

At minimum, you need a new PSU. Also likely damaged could be the graphics card and possibly motherboard depending on how the unit went out. Beyond that, not much else happens in these cases.

Chances are the system is fine aside from the PSU, but you never know with poor quality units.

This is also why we recommend never using molex to PCIe adapters.

This is why you should never cheap out on PSU. I had one shit psu that came with my pc case go up in flames (literally on fire). After that I opted for spending more for a PSU, used Corsair CX430 (not a good unit) and CX450(relaunched CX series with very good quality)

eleazar.duzon

Prominent
Apr 18, 2018
Chances are the system is fine aside from the PSU, but you never know with poor quality units.

Thanks for the info. I will take it to the nearest service shop to have them check before I buy a new PSU (with better connectors).

This is also why we recommend never using molex to PCIe adapters.
This is why you should never cheap out on PSU.
I got the PC without a GPU to start with as I had a limited budget. The PSU is not from the popular brands, it was a $50 PSU from DeepCool, which I thought would be good enough for a budget build.
As for the molex connector. I got that with the GPU, so I thought it would be fine.

My next question is, do you guys have any recommendations as for the next PSU that I should buy. Preferably around $50-$100 range.

Depends on system specs, but this is a solid unit in that price range:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-01 00:09 EDT-0400

Molex adapters are included so consumers wont skip buying a GPU because their PSU wont connect to it. Its a cheap and dirty way to make them "work". Most times its fine, some others, not so much.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A standard molex can provide 132w
A 6pin pcie connector is rated at 75w but is physically good for upto 120w.
An 8pin pcie is rated at 150w, but is physically good for upto 180w.

Standard gpu included molex to pcie is either molex to 6+2pin (8pin) or molex to 2x 6pin.

Either way, that's a 132w molex vrs a 150-180w 8pin or 150w-240w 2x6pin.

Welcome to the realm of fire hazards.

Regardless of what's included with any gpu, rule of thumb concerning psus and gpus is that if the psu does not have the connectors to directly hook up to the gpu fully, then the psu is not intended for use with that gpu.

Size has little actual bearing. I've seen plenty of 700w psus that have only 1x 6pin pcie.