How much does a cpu influence loading speeds?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I've recently swapped an FX 6300 for a much faster i5 3570K and I haven't noticed a big difference in the speed of programs/games opening/loading.

Is my HDD the problem? Is it what's holding my cpu back when it comes to loading speeds?

Solution
There's a reason many people suggest upgrading an old pc with an ssd because general usage is a lot snappier. Even if you had a ssd with both cpus, you won't see a difference. Once you go ssd, you never go back.
the hdd has a great deal to do with boot speeds.an ssd will boot a whole lot faster.that having been said,programs set to start with windows have a lot to do with boot times as well.what are we talking about time to boot here?and what hdd do you have?just in case i havent been clear here,the load times of programs are so much faster with an ssd as well.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I'm talking about loading times in general, programs, games and boot. I always thought that the cpu had more to do with it than you guys are talling me now. It seems now that only hdd's and ssd's are resposible for loading times.

That may be true for old computers. I did notice a huge difference in boot and loading when I compared a PC with i486 cpu and one with Pentium 120 MHz back in the mid-late 90s.
I believe modern CPUs are so much more powerful that you wouldn't notice much of a difference when booting and loading games, the main difference is when you actually doing things with CPU intensive software and games.
As the others have mentioned a SSD would make a much more difference than upgrading the CPU.

http://uk.pcmag.com/storage-devices-reviews/8061/feature/ssd-vs-hdd-whats-the-difference
"Speed: This is where SSDs shine. An SSD-equipped PC will boot in less than a minute, and often in just seconds. A hard drive requires time to speed up to operating specs, and will continue to be slower than an SSD during normal use. A PC or Mac with an SSD boots faster, launches and runs apps faster, and transfers files faster. Whether you're using your computer for fun, school, or business, the extra speed may be the difference between finishing on time and failing."