Question How much does the monitor affect PC performance?

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Should I get a 4k or 2k monitor for my design work?
I was building a new PC to handle 1440p 144 hz gaming and some artwork.
But I probably won't build it for a little while longer. Does the monitor affect PC performance at all?

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
The monitor does not affect performance. What it affects is the native resolution you are displaying and gaming in 4k requires much more gpu performance than say fullHD therefore you have to expect much lower frames per second.

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
The monitor does not affect performance. What it affects is the native resolution you are displaying and gaming in 4k requires much more gpu performance than say fullHD therefore you have to expect much lower frames per second.
Thanks for the input. What should I look for in a 2k monitor if I want to use it for gaming, content creating, etc. I think picking the graphics card is easier for me if I have a clear understanding of the monitor I will be using.

Last edited:

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I am far from a monitor expert, but here are my 2 cent:
Given you are using the monitor for artwork and design you want a high resolution, good viewing angles and most importantly rich and authentic colours. So the panel-type of your choice is IPS. TN and VA will not give you the same colour ranges.
Since you are also gaming I would go for a high refreshrate panel (144 Hz) with a reasonable reaction time (thats not the strong suit of IPS panels). I personally would choose a 27-30" diameter to get a good workingspace and still maintain a high pixel density.
Curved monitors are in fashion for gamers, but imho thats a no-go if you do drawings, because straight lines may appear slightly bent on your screen.

TLdr: You search for a 27-30" IPS panel with 2500x1440p resolution, excellent range of the colour garmut, high contrast and preferably 144hz with okish reaction times.