How much further will SSD's drop in price?

Isaac99

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2014
So I've been following the prices of SSD's as they have been dropping. I live in Australia, and at the moment I can pick up a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb for $120 AUD and a 1TB for $230 AUD. I already own a couple but I'm in need of more space!

Do you think they will significantly drop in price anymore? Or should I just grab one now?

Thanks

Solution

This time next year, it will be cheaper.
2 years from now, cheaper still
and on and on...

There will be a one day sale on Amazon or Newegg, sometime between now and January, where it will be cheaper than today.

USAFRet

Titan

This time next year, it will be cheaper.
2 years from now, cheaper still
and on and on...

There will be a one day sale on Amazon or Newegg, sometime between now and January, where it will be cheaper than today.

Solution

Trade War is unique to the U.S. AUS has no trade war that I know of. Plus Foundry Workers of America aren't complaining they don't have jobs.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018

While that is true, a trade war between the world's two largest economies would be far-reaching even if it only involved China and the US. Australia is a big materials exporter to both countries so it could affect you negatively via a reduction in demand for parts. More significantly, it would have a large impact on the southeast Asian countries that are in China's manufacturing supply chain, and it would be naive to think they will only recoup their losses from the US. However, if China decides to respond by focusing on domestic growth, it could end with a net gain for you because most of Australia's iron stays in China.

My point is that yes, prices will continue to drop as the technology becomes more common and streamlined, but that price drop is going to be offset by fluctuations in your buying power which pretty much relies on China's demand for manufacturing. I just don't think anyone can make anything other than an educated guess about how much prices will drop for you.