[SOLVED] How much GB should a graphic card have and why?

Solution
Strictly considering the VRAM on a GPU is a poor decision factor.
Look at the 5500XT - the 8GB variants are completely pointless, you're exhausting other elements of the card (in most instances) before you breach 4GB.

In terms of gaming, it really depends on the game, settings & resolution.
All else being equal, a 4-6GB card is probably what the majority of purchasers (new) should be looking at.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Strictly considering the VRAM on a GPU is a poor decision factor.
Look at the 5500XT - the 8GB variants are completely pointless, you're exhausting other elements of the card (in most instances) before you breach 4GB.

In terms of gaming, it really depends on the game, settings & resolution.
All else being equal, a 4-6GB card is probably what the majority of purchasers (new) should be looking at.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thanks, so it have to have the same amount of RAM as my RAM?

No, not at all.

You want to make sure your system is balanced, check benchmarks for the games you want to play, at the resolutions you want to play.

Some games will utilize more VRAM than others & some in-game settings will utilize more VRAM than others.

VRAM is only one factor. A 2080TI has 11GB of VRAM, but that's a moot point if you're playing at 720p/low settings.

What are your full system specs? What games do you wish to play, and at what resolution?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok. I need it for videoediting, I have not bought a PC yet, i just want to know what is right
Parts can't be chosen in isolation.
As noted above, a balanced system that fits within your budget, and is suitable for your proposed use case.

Start here:

Reactions: Barty1884