How Much GPU Do i need

raymond32882

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Doing my first build\rebuild keeping my old case and i currently have settled on http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VXfWxr and i would like to know based on my monitor if i go with an R9 380 4gb if im going to see major game performance decrease or if im spending 100$ on a GPU being bottlenecked by my monitor

Solution
This is simple by just looking up benchmarks for 1080i gaming.

This benchmark, for example, shows the speeds of the video cards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/06-Thief-1080p,3669.html

Basically figure you want about 60fps for a good average. 30fps is minimum (but some people can tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps. some can not). Look up other gaming benchmarks to give you a good idea of the differences.

Higher the resolution, the more demanding it is on the video card.
``Asus B85M-E/CSM Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard``
you do not want this crappy mobo for overclocking...

`` A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ``
you need a better ssd then this one , get samsung 850 evo 120

`` Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ``

this drive is not good to use as primary hdd

``PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card``
really good gpu!

``Asus VS239H-P``
this is a good monitor for low budget

``if i go with an R9 380 4gb if im going to see major game performance decrease or if im spending 100$ on a GPU being bottlenecked by my monitor ``

go with the r9 380x if you want a good budget gpu , this gpu can perform even with a 1440p

all depend in which resolution you want to play..?? and if your budget permit it..??

raymond32882

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
didnt plan on overclocking anything that being said 1080 res and the ssd i planned on getting is the PNY CS1311. The hdd is being salvaged from the old behemoth never had problems with it before. So what im asking is do i really need a 390 for this build will i see a major gameplay differnece in games like Ryse, CS, Witcher, WoW?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Difference from what!? The i5/380 is a fine combination for gaming. But it's hard to compare performance when you don't say what you are comparing it to.

raymond32882

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

390 im trying to decide on spending 320 on a gpu or 210 on a gpu i want to know if with my build it will make a difference that i will see sice im only playing on 1080 75hz refresh rate

A monitor does not bottle neck a card at all. You will get the same FPS at 1080p on a good monitor and on a crap monitor.
Now the crispness of the image will vary by monitor and you will notice more lag with 5ms or higher monitors.

Now I would not buy a lower end card due to a monitor, I would get the higher card and get a better monitor latter.

Now with all of that said you need to put money into the rest of your build.
You cant overclock with that B85 board (at least not well).
With your rig the overclocking will make very little difference in performance, only in cost to do it right.
Get an i5-4460 and a Gigabyte Gaming 3 board http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gab85mgaming3
Pay the money for a better SSD drive. That drive is not cheap because it is close to a Samsung evo, it is because it flat out sucks and they are trying to clear stock (just like a Kingston v300). If you cant afford the Samsung Evo then get Crucial or Sandisk.

Also that Green Hard drive is fine for music/movies or backups but it will be noticeably slower for gameplay (or programs/OS) as all the maps and everything being accessed from the drive will be a good 20-40MBPS slower then a 7200rpm drive.

Also I forgot to note, that for your 390 you need a good quality PSU.
PSU is the LAST part to go cheap on as it can fry all of your parts.

Quality is not determined by how many watts it states or even by an 80+ rating, it is determined by circuitry in the unit.
Seasonic and XFX are pretty good all around, otherwise search for Toms PSU Tier list

This is simple by just looking up benchmarks for 1080i gaming.

This benchmark, for example, shows the speeds of the video cards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/06-Thief-1080p,3669.html

Basically figure you want about 60fps for a good average. 30fps is minimum (but some people can tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps. some can not). Look up other gaming benchmarks to give you a good idea of the differences.

Higher the resolution, the more demanding it is on the video card.

Solution