How much hacking is legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let's say I have the Kali Linux on a laptop used specifically for it with a secure VPN etc.\

Let's also assume that I know a person's IP Address and know what ports he has open.

So, how much hacking is actually legal? What am I allowed to do? Or will I ever get caught if it is to be done to a regular home user who doesn't care?

Thanks.

Solution

"With permission" is no different than doing it on your own hardware.
"Without permission" is illegal.

DSzymborski

Titan
None of it. While there is certainly some question of whether or not you'll get caught -- advice for which nobody here can help you with per Tom's policy -- it doesn't matter if it's open if you're unauthorized or at least do not have a good faith belief that you are in fact authorized.

What is I try to hack another person's computer with his permission. Like a full PC takeover. I would be able to look through his files, implant spy bots etc. but the person would agree to it.

USAFRet

Titan

"With permission" is no different than doing it on your own hardware.
"Without permission" is illegal.

Solution

If the person lets you do it, and it does not affect anyone else (like using his system for other attacks) you can do whatever you want. It's basically testing and learning at this point. It's like getting permission to smash someone's TV. If you just do it, you owe them a new TV, if they say "sure break it and you don't have to pay for it", you can do it without any issues. I'd get the agreement in writing though, with a signature.

DSzymborski

Titan

If you have their permission, it's a very different situation from the one you describe in your initial post. If you're replacing someone's front door lock with their permission, you're not breaking and entering.

I understand that straight out takeovers, MiM attacks, DOS, DDOS, spybots, hacking networks is illegal. If I get permission in written form with signature and all the stuff, then I can do it. Check.

What about spying? Such as webcam and microphone?

USAFRet

Titan

Breaking into his webcam? Without permission?
How many fingers do you wish to wake up with tomorrow?

What part of illegal is not understood here?
If you wish to practice the fine art of breaking into a system...here's what you do:

Buy another PC. Set it up however you wish.
Break into that.

DSzymborski

Titan

I'm starting to get the feeling that you're trying to get us to OK something really creepy for you. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.