Question How much headroom does my existing PSU have for a second graphics card ?

Apr 19, 2023
I have a 700w corsair psu that's about 7 years old running a Ryzen 5700X on x470 board, with 32gb ram and a 3060 graphics card. All at stock speed.

I also have 4 x 240mm rgb fans, 5 short rgb strips, two ssd and 1 hdd.

The machine is mostly being used as an art station rather than for gaming, hence the 3060 because I need the 12gb vram rather than raw power.

Given the age of my psu, realisticly how much headroom does it have to install a second graphics card ?
I have an old 670 and a 1660ti already and would like a second 3060 if it can power it. My mb and case both have space.

I'm looking to boost my vram further, my software supports multiple cards out of the box, so it's plug and play if I have the spare juice.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What model Corsair 1000w PSU?

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Use the calculators to size the required PSU with two GPUs. Look for a consensus wattage total. Plus do your own manual wattage total. Remember that there could be very high wattage peaks with two GPUs.

If a component provides a range of wattage values use the high end value.

Overall, though I would be leery of a 7 year old PSU. May be okay now but added load may push the PSU beyond its's current capabilities.

X watts = okay,, X+1 watts = faltering and failing. Likely the PSU is nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life) anyway.

Especially with the described PSU history.

If at all possible - a new PSU. If not possible at least you will be aware of the full circumstances and demands on both the system and the supporting PSU. Watch for problems.