[SOLVED] How much i am loosing with my old CPU?

Feb 19, 2019
Hello, like title say i am wondering how much performance i am losing with my old i7 3770k@4,2Ghz CPU, paired with GTX 1070 and DDR3 .
I would like to upgrade to i9 9900K, DDR4 what performance increase in games (1440p) i am looking for?
Should i wait for new models?

Best regards,
eXa

Solution
Nice to hear that, With what graphic card would i7 3770k had bottleneck(RTX2080)?

bottleneck wise, in the end of the day every processor bottlenecks, just the same as SSDs are bottlenecked by the buss, and the whole system is bottleneck by SSDs or HDDs thus why u have ram, wich bottlenecks your graphic cards etc etc etc...

do not worry about bottleneck, if you can and is willing to, slap the RTX there, the thing is, you'll get better performance with a better CPU, thats only a logical conclusion!... bottlenecks should only be an subject of worry if your CPU is just so bad, but so bad that you get stutters, massive spikes, or just cant run things decent at all regardless of how powerful your GPU is...

as in, 8700k doesn't...

Phazoner

Distinguished
You will get zero improvement in games. For example, latest Battlefields and Assassin's Creed Games are the most intensive for both CPU and GPU. At 1440p the 1070 just won't be able to deliver that many frames per second to be bottlenecked for your still very strong 3770k.

If it is about not CPU intensive games like CSGO, LOL or Fortnite the 3770k is going to deliver more than the 144FPS that usual competitive 144Hz monitors can deliver.

Your PC is a great and greatly balanced keeper.

Reactions: eXacTTec
Nice to hear that, With what graphic card would i7 3770k had bottleneck(RTX2080)?

bottleneck wise, in the end of the day every processor bottlenecks, just the same as SSDs are bottlenecked by the buss, and the whole system is bottleneck by SSDs or HDDs thus why u have ram, wich bottlenecks your graphic cards etc etc etc...

do not worry about bottleneck, if you can and is willing to, slap the RTX there, the thing is, you'll get better performance with a better CPU, thats only a logical conclusion!... bottlenecks should only be an subject of worry if your CPU is just so bad, but so bad that you get stutters, massive spikes, or just cant run things decent at all regardless of how powerful your GPU is...

as in, 8700k doesn't bottlenecks the RTX2080 as a general consensus, but if you were to upgrade to a 9900k you'd get slightly better frames, and so on. Go for it.

Solution

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019

3770k is a great CPU, but RTX2080 might be a bit an overkill.... Which is still fine, if You accept some performance drops on a CPU bound games or specific games locations.

That basically depends on two things:

1) resolution You play on -> the higher (2K/4K), the better for You, as it's using more of GPU resources to deliver better screen resolution. That means higher quality at the cost of lower fps.
In simplification: Your CPU will not struggle, providing 60 fps in 2K, but might not be able to deliver calculations for 144 fps at lower resolutions like 1080p with the same card.

2) specific game - each game is different. Some need more CPU, less GPU than the others. You'll be good, for example, in Witcher 3 at 2k max details, but You won't use Your GPU full potential at 1080p in GTA V.
Also, there are locations/situations in games, when You may need more CPU power than in a standard gameplay and Your CPU might bottleneck occasionaly there.

So....

If You want to play 1920x1080 at high framerates (like 144+), GTX 2080 might be too much and it won't provide You enough performance, because of CPU bottleneck.
However, at 2K/4K and 60-75 fps (with Vsync for example) You are just fine and good to go.