How much is a GTX 1080 worth after mining?

ClassicTheBlue

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
Hi there!

I'm looking to upgrade from my 1050ti and now have a decent budget for a gpu (350$ USD). At this price point I was going to go buy a brand new MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G, but my roommate (who is a miner) has just opted out of GPU mining and said he'd match that price for a used 1080. The GPU has been mining for about five months and has been kept in the mid 70'S on a low overclock. So my question is: would it be worth it to save the 100$ and go with his 1080? If not then at what price would it be worth it?

Thanks on advance!
-Nate

Solution

If he's willing to confirm that, then it may be worthwhile, depending on how much time is left on the warranty.

OTOH, say you're running a 1920x1080 monitor and don't need to run super-fast refresh rates, then the 1070 is more than enough horsepower anyway, and you're guaranteed a full warranty and a new card.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

If he's willing to confirm that, then it may be worthwhile, depending on how much time is left on the warranty.

OTOH, say you're running a 1920x1080 monitor and don't need to run super-fast refresh rates, then the 1070 is more than enough horsepower anyway, and you're guaranteed a full warranty and a new card.

Solution