How much is enough?

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
While waiting for the parts of my second build to arrive I have seen many arguments over how to place the thermal paste. Too much is bad and so is too little. This is a very miniscule question but does it help to spread it around or is it better to leave it as a dot of paste? On my first build I only placed a dot and it has worked as it should but I have yet to tax the machine's power.

Solution
The purpose of tim(thermal interface material) is to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces. Tim is a relatively good conductor of heat compared to air, but not as good as metal.
That is why too much is bad. It is hard to use too little.

I vote for the dot or thin line method.

If you spread it around, you open up the possibility that some air will get trapped when you mount the cooler. Not good.
The dot method spreads the tim with pressure, and later heat, so it all flows outward and no air pockets remain.
The purpose of tim(thermal interface material) is to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces. Tim is a relatively good conductor of heat compared to air, but not as good as metal.
That is why too much is bad. It is hard to use too little.

I vote for the dot or thin line method.

If you spread it around, you open up the possibility that some air will get trapped when you mount the cooler. Not good.
The dot method spreads the tim with pressure, and later heat, so it all flows outward and no air pockets remain.

Solution