How much is enough?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
I wanted to hear some views from other people. I currently have 512MB DDR on my system, and was thinking if it would be wise to use the 1 GB DDR modules that just came out- in which case I would buy 2 and hve 2 GB RAM.- By the way, take into account that I am a graphics designer.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think that 512MB is still enough for you, unless you've got a LOT of stuff going there... But still...

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, is your system bogged down and having to use virtual memory? No one else can tell you how your system is performing. If the hard drive isn't constantly grinding while your running rendered scenes- then your fine. If it is- then get more.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Since you work with graphics, I'd go with at least 1gig.

Win98 (Nes98) doesn't like anything above 512meg, so you're capped at 512 if you're using it. WinNT/Linux will let you crank as much as your motherboard will let you (1.5gig?, 4.0gig?).

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for the input all, but lately, I have been seing articles about QDR RAM, and have decided to wait till it comes out, as well as video cards being built into mobo (QDr is 533MHZ RAM), and then just get myself a GF3 Ultra processor w/ 1 GB QDR RAM, and the fastest Sledgehammer (62 Bit, 2 MB on die full speed L2 cache- you can kiss Apple goodbye by the way, G5 will come out too late to compete)

Looking for wife able to cook, fish, have boat and motor. Please send pic. of boat and motor.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Of course better stuff is always coming down the road. Always better to wait if you have time to wait. However, use a resource utility like like that availiable with Norton or inherent to NT (I assume w2k also) to see just how much of your RAM you have that you are even using. I do very large CAD/CAM models with AutoCAD and a half gig does me fine. Single users rarely require more than 256. A server with uwscsi drives in raid with a cogillion accesses per nanosecond - yeah, more ram helps them, especially cache on die. Check out a PIII700 proc with 2mb cache on die. OMG they really are proud of those.

Now the stuff you mentioned just now <font color=black>
GF3 Ultra processor w/ 1 GB QDR RAM, and the fastest Sledgehammer
<font color=blue>will be a significant improvement, but not because you have more ram.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>