how much is G-sync needed?

toxin9

Honorable
Apr 16, 2015
hey everyone. i want to buy a new monitor since i upgraded my pc with a gtx 1080. i can't decide between the Asus PG278Q and the MG279Q. the PG has a TN panel and a 1ms response rate along with G-sync and the MG is an IPS panel with a 4ms response rate and free sync (which nvidia users can't use right?). anyway i figured that the 4 ms won't be so noticable in comparison to the 1 ms and the fact that the MG is IPS is really great. so how much will i notice screen tearing without the G-sync and is it worth the price gap between them? i always thought that screen tearing only happens in fps that are higher than the refresh rate, thinking that the screen refresh rate is not constant but is MAXIMUM 144hz.

Solution

The listed response time varies depending on the model you choose. 4 ms for an IPS monitor is fast, and in many models simply not true in RL use with some models(despite that its listed in the specs as such on them). But, again, it really depends on your preference, what you'll be using it for, which model you choose, etc. Most likely you will not notice much difference. TN panels are cheap for a reason, though even then some companies have found ways to overcharge on them as well. Fwiw, a proven IPS monitor which owners are mostly happy with is better than a TN panel monitor, regardless of G/Free...
How much is gsync needed? Technically it isn't needed. If you've a choice between a TN panel and a better quality IPS panel, I'd say go for the IPS monitor regardless of gsync or freesync. Also RRebel makes a good point, if it turns out that you end up with a Vega gpu down the road you'd have a quality IPS monitor which already has adaptive sync (freesync) to use it with.

However, if I were you I'd be weary of the MG279Q. It's an excellent monitor, but it's had a lot of complaints on Amazon and elsewhere with quality control issues. The general consensus on it is to keep RMA'ing it to Asus until you get one that has backlight bleed that isn't too bad, as well as no dead pixels, etc. Note that my experience re the MG279Q if from the holidays a couple years back when I'd considered getting the same model. For all I know, QC may have improved by then.

Though I'd suggest you check out some more IPS monitors that have been released since then, research some reviews, maybe see if you can find something that isn't as pricey, with better quality and QC on sale. Acer, Dell, Vizio, and many, many other manufacturers also create excellent IPS monitors that haven't had the QC issues the Asus MG279Q once (of possibly still?) has. You might even be able to find one with gsync if that suits your needs better. Though again, paying for GSync is a waste imho. Put that extra cash into a monitor that has proven quality rather than having to pay considerably just to have a proprietary tech (GSync) that you likely wont even need or notice much difference using it with a 1080 and a decent 1440p/4k IPS monitor.

The listed response time varies depending on the model you choose. 4 ms for an IPS monitor is fast, and in many models simply not true in RL use with some models(despite that its listed in the specs as such on them). But, again, it really depends on your preference, what you'll be using it for, which model you choose, etc. Most likely you will not notice much difference. TN panels are cheap for a reason, though even then some companies have found ways to overcharge on them as well. Fwiw, a proven IPS monitor which owners are mostly happy with is better than a TN panel monitor, regardless of G/Free sync, any day imho.

Solution

toxin9

Honorable
Apr 16, 2015

thank you very much. it's weird that the tn version costs more