[SOLVED] How much is too much CL Latency? is 48gb overdoing ? Ryzen 7 5800x cpu and 2x 8gb hypper x ddr4 3200 mhz + 2x 16gb hyper x ddr4 3200mh ALL CL-16 DIMM

GannicusTTV

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
Hi,
i recently made some upgrades on my computer, and I wanted more RAM.
I play black desert online on the tray while I do homework, watch videos, sometimes other games, stream, record. and I am often at my memory all used up, so I thought it was a good idea to upgrade. I looked up and asked the technician that helped me with my PC and he gave me the link for the upgrades. I was going to get 2x 8gbs for a total of 32, but they seemed to have a good offer for 2x16, so I went with it.
I installed it and it is running fine. definitely not memory issues anymore.
But a friend said my CAS latency is "too high". When I check cpu-z ap, it says the total CAS is at "22.0" docks.

he said it makes my processor, ryzen 7 5800x, slower. is that true? should I care?
should I drop to 32 gb or less? reason I upgraded to ryzen 7 was so I could gain some fps on BDO, which helped, but now I am overthinking. if the change is like negligible i wouldn't mess with it, but if it is impactful i would downgrade if it is better. I can still return those sticks.

thank you!

Jefferson

Solution
Hi,
I play black desert online on the tray while I do homework, watch videos, sometimes other games, stream, record. and I am often at my memory all used up, so I thought it was a good idea to upgrade. I looked up and asked the technician that helped me with my PC and he gave me the link for the upgrades. I was going to get 2x 8gbs for a total of 32, but they seemed to have a good offer for 2x16, so I went with it.
But a friend said my CAS latency is "too high". When I check cpu-z ap, it says the total CAS is at "22.0" docks.

he said it makes my processor, ryzen 7 5800x, slower. is that...
Hi,

he said it makes my processor, ryzen 7 5800x, slower. is that true? should I care?
should I drop to 32 gb or less? reason I upgraded to ryzen 7 was so I could gain some fps on BDO, which helped, but now I am overthinking. if the change is like negligible i wouldn't mess with it, but if it is impactful i would downgrade if it is better. I can still return those sticks.

thank you!

Jefferson
making it slower should be in the means that if it went over 16gbs it would slow down since it ran on flex kinda mode, best way for perfomance is to let it dual channel with the same size, is what your friend meant.

CL22 is the standard jedec timings, for Ryzen 3000 series, better CL means better inter core latency because how the architecture worked, but for ryzen 5000 series, i wouldn't probably care too much since it's now a unified 8 cores.

Unlike 3000 series which includes 2 core complex (4+4) per cpu die (CCD), and to communicate between core complex it all depends on the infinity fabric speed which is better to be synchronized with the ram speed (Faster ram + low CAS = better Infinity fabric latency). Since 5000 Series CPU and APUs for desktop is 1 CCD = 8 Cores not 4+4, the latency penalty for intercore should be minimal, of course the small the timing the better the performance IF you do heavy workloads like rendering and stuffs. 32GB is plenty enough for today unless you're a professional that do much things at once.

Solution

GannicusTTV

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
So, I removed the 2 sticks of 16gb, and for my surprise, the CAS Latency is still at 22.
on taskmanager it says they are running at 3200mhz, but on cpu-z it says that the max bandwitdth of the 16gb is 1200mhz and the 1600. but I bought all of them 3200mhz. what do I trust? the task manager or cpu z?
is that ok or should i be worried?
I am considering to return the 16 sticks and take 2 sticks of 8 and see what happens.

So, I removed the 2 sticks of 16gb, and for my surprise, the CAS Latency is still at 22.
on taskmanager it says they are running at 3200mhz, but on cpu-z it says that the max bandwitdth of the 16gb is 1200mhz and the 1600. but I bought all of them 3200mhz. what do I trust? the task manager or cpu z?
is that ok or should i be worried?
I am considering to return the 16 sticks and take 2 sticks of 8 and see what happens.
CPUZ always read the real data rate, so 1200 = 2400, 1600=3200. Remember, DDR4 = Double Data Rate 4

Hi,

thank you!

Jefferson
Fit the 2x16GB in the proper slots for dual channel.
Set the 2x8GB aside.
Run this and post a link to the results.
PC Benchmark

Reactions: GannicusTTV

GannicusTTV

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
After I left only the 16x2 on the proper slots.
I noticed that the 32gb even when in the proper slot still shows that they are running at a slower frequency than they should. i read in another post that someone else had a similar issue and it was only fixed when they bought it straight from HP.

UserBenchmarks: Game 134%, Desk 105%, Work 134%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 101.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 - 129.9%
SSD: WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-1T00-1006 1TB - 265%
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - 125.2%
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB - 95.4%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB - 94.4%
MBD: HP OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-1xxx

After I left only the 16x2 on the proper slots.
I noticed that the 32gb even when in the proper slot still shows that they are running at a slower frequency than they should. i read in another post that someone else had a similar issue and it was only fixed when they bought it straight from HP.

UserBenchmarks: Game 134%, Desk 105%, Work 134%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 101.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 - 129.9%
SSD: WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-1T00-1006 1TB - 265%
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - 125.2%
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB - 95.4%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB - 94.4%
That's better.
What do you mean they are running slower than they should?

GannicusTTV

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
UserBenchmarks: Game 128%, Desk 104%, Work 132%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 98.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 - 129%
SSD: WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-1T00-1006 1TB - 264.2%
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - 125.6%
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB - 93.9%
RAM: Kingston HP37D4U1S8ME-8XR 2x8GB - 87.5%
this was just the original 16gb (2x8) sticks

weird the other pieces didn't perform as well. not sure what that means.

but on cpu-z i noticed that the original sticks run at 3200mhz (1600 dual), but the new sticks of 16gb each run at 1200 dual. i dont get it why, they are literary the same thing except one has more memory. a post i fgound said they have to be bought straight from hp, but then when i look on their site they redirect me to crucial website that doesn't even have those hyperfury sticks for sale. so I am so confused.

GannicusTTV

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
That's better.
What do you mean they are running slower than they should?
the frequency says 3200mhz on the sticks, cpu-z says it is running at 1600mhz dual on the original 8gb sticks.
but when i tried the 16gb stick, even though it is also a 3200mhz, it is running at just 1200mhz dual on cpu-z even when they are on the right slots and without the other sticks installed.

the frequency says 3200mhz on the sticks, cpu-z says it is running at 1600mhz dual on the original 8gb sticks.
but when i tried the 16gb stick, even though it is also a 3200mhz, it is running at just 1200mhz dual on cpu-z even when they are on the right slots and without the other sticks installed.
The 2x16 gives you better perf and it should be an ample amount.
Leave it alone.....enjoy.