[SOLVED] How much is too much?

Sportplus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade my laptop.

Currently running an Intel i5-4300M. (And doing "fine" for the most part, but the laptop is falling apart physically) (RAM = 12GB, Integrated gfx, 512GB HDD)

What is an "appropriate" jump from here for someone who has a 500-600$ budget?
(for a laptop, not just buying the cpu).

I feel like something like the Ryzen 5 4700U/Intel i5-1135G7 might be overkill.
(I don't game, just office work/streaming and light photo editing)

Need some clarity.

Solution
What's your time worth? Better pc = faster, less downtime waiting, even if it's just 10 extra seconds on a picture to populate. Do that multiple times a day and it adds up.

It's not overkill if there's a use, a purpose. Getting results in a few seconds from an excel spreadsheet while on the phone with a client, instead of waiting a minute.

Time is money. Is the investment in 'overkill' laptop a good investment, or is equitable to what you have now, and cheaper, good enough.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What's your time worth? Better pc = faster, less downtime waiting, even if it's just 10 extra seconds on a picture to populate. Do that multiple times a day and it adds up.

It's not overkill if there's a use, a purpose. Getting results in a few seconds from an excel spreadsheet while on the phone with a client, instead of waiting a minute.

Time is money. Is the investment in 'overkill' laptop a good investment, or is equitable to what you have now, and cheaper, good enough.

Reactions: Sportplus
Solution

Sportplus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Awesome reply.

And I agree with you, time is money.

What I'm trying to figure out (since I have a bit too much time on my hands I think) is in what "area of compromise" my time and money should be "invested" in (smartly).

(How many seconds am I saving with "X" CPU/hardware specs using a certain amount of money (my budget)).