[SOLVED] How much Mbps does my house approximately use?

Oct 9, 2020
Dear reader,

All values are download speeds

I want to know whether my router has huge amounts of packetloss due to congestion, since I think we demand more data than our router can provide.

My house has a maximum downloadspeed of 65Mbps.

My house is limited to get 65Mbps from T-Mobile, while other ISPs (Ziggo) could offer me more than 500Mbps..

I live with 7 students 24/7 home due to Covid-19. We all have laptops, mobile phones and some smart gear connected to our single 65 Mbps router.
How much bandwidth / Mbps should we minimally use to let everyone do whatever he/she wants (Videocalling/gaming etc..) ?

Solution
no way to know unless you can list every single thing done by every user. each thing uses some bandwidth and then you add it up.

there is no way to estimate it over 7 users with multiple devices without literally looking at everything they do. the biggest usage will likely be streaming video. a 1080p stream can be close to 10 Mb/s. won't take many streams to use most of the bandwidth. gaming is also a big user as is downloading obviously. i'd assume you are having issues just based on 7 user with multiple devices. that's a lot for one router to handle. it's not just bandwidth but also how many connections the router can handle at once. a basic router likely won't be able to handle too many. i'd look into those specs to see what it is...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no way to know unless you can list every single thing done by every user. each thing uses some bandwidth and then you add it up.

there is no way to estimate it over 7 users with multiple devices without literally looking at everything they do. the biggest usage will likely be streaming video. a 1080p stream can be close to 10 Mb/s. won't take many streams to use most of the bandwidth. gaming is also a big user as is downloading obviously. i'd assume you are having issues just based on 7 user with multiple devices. that's a lot for one router to handle. it's not just bandwidth but also how many connections the router can handle at once. a basic router likely won't be able to handle too many. i'd look into those specs to see what it is claimed to handle. most likely it is not too many to be able to work the whole house.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

there is no way to estimate it over 7 users with multiple devices without literally looking at everything they do. the biggest usage will likely be streaming video. a 1080p stream can be close to 10 Mb/s. won't take many streams to use most of the bandwidth. gaming is also a big user as is downloading obviously. i'd assume you are having issues just based on 7 user with multiple devices. that's a lot for one router to handle. it's not just bandwidth but also how many connections the router can handle at once. a basic router likely won't be able to handle too many. i'd look into those specs to see what it is claimed to handle. most likely it is not too many to be able to work the whole house.
2 guys are going to be running torrents 24/7.