How much of a difference will this do?

ionutz4krew

Prominent
Apr 11, 2018
Hello everyone, I know SSD's are pretty much a "must have" piece of hardware right now so I was curious to see what kind of a difference will it have on gaming?
My plan is to put my OS on SSD but keep my games on the HDD. Will it make any kind of difference when gaming? I know my games will load from the HDD,so my question might sound kinda stupid but I've never used an SSD and I don't know what to expect. When I talk about "differences" I don't expect FPS boosts, but more response from the system itself when gaming because Windows background things will be on the SSD and not on the HDD.

Solution
It doesn't quite work that way. No performance increase in game, or additional smoothness. For the most part, game data is loaded to ram anyway, and then fed through CPU/GPU.

Because your games are on a traditional HD, you will not have any boost in load times between games.

The OS on the SSD will make things generally feel snapier, but won't have an affect on gaming. If your games are on the SSD, then that would defo decrease load times in between games.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That would be a small impact to gaming. Most of the OS processes will be loaded into memory. Shouldn't have much call for going to the disk while you are playing games.

Your general desktop experience will be improved and OS boot times will be quite a bit better, particularly from a true reboot, not the hybrid sleep that is default for Windows these days.

It doesn't quite work that way. No performance increase in game, or additional smoothness. For the most part, game data is loaded to ram anyway, and then fed through CPU/GPU.

Because your games are on a traditional HD, you will not have any boost in load times between games.

The OS on the SSD will make things generally feel snapier, but won't have an affect on gaming. If your games are on the SSD, then that would defo decrease load times in between games.

Solution