Question How much of a signal will i lose if a power outlet to ethernet addapter is on a different circut breaker

Darkshock

Honorable
Feb 27, 2017
My sifi extremely unreliable in games. At first it was because i have multiple smart tv's and Xbox game lass running but that's not the case. I haven't been able to play lol or csgo reliably for months. I finally found a way to use ethernet after some digging. I know if it's on 2 different breakers it will work but it wont be as good. So how much of a signal will i lose. Is it still faster than wifi

kanewolf

Titan
My sifi extremely unreliable in games. At first it was because i have multiple smart tv's and Xbox game lass running but that's not the case. I haven't been able to play lol or csgo reliably for months. I finally found a way to use ethernet after some digging. I know if it's on 2 different breakers it will work but it wont be as good. So how much of a signal will i lose. Is it still faster than wifi
Powerline, when it works is more stable that WIFI. Is it faster? Unknown. For gaming, total bandwidth is not as important as consistency.
Get AV2 or G.hn certified devices for maximum performance.

Darkshock

Honorable
Feb 27, 2017
Powerline, when it works is more stable that WIFI. Is it faster? Unknown. For gaming, total bandwidth is not as important as consistency.
Get AV2 or G.hn certified devices for maximum performance.
So far it seems far more reliable. Was vetting anwhere from 50-100 ping in csgo vs anywhre from 100 to 1000 ping

Powerline is basically using the wires as a antenna rather than trying to send the signal over the air. It almost completely prevents interference which is what causes the spikes in ping.

The only downside is it might be a bit slower. What you could do if you needed to download a large game is unplug the ethernet and use wifi just for downloads. Downloads don't care about ping spikes very much. Then again it depends on how much slower the powerline is and if it is worth the hassle to swap stuff around.

Powerline?

Do you single or dual phase power?
What country are you in?

If the circuit is on a different breaker, you would need to swap poles in the circuit breaker panel. Most people aren't comfortable with doing this, though it's quite easy and would take me 5 minutes.

The other alternative is to use MOCA if you have a coax outlet in your room. As long as the coax tv outlets are on the same network, it's actually much better than powerline.