[SOLVED] How much ohm can motherboards handle?

Feb 19, 2020
I was thinking of buying Sennheiser hd 599 and I read that an amp or soundcard might be needed, so I thought that in this way I could understand if it is needed because I would not want to spend too much. My motherboard is Odense 2b47.

Solution
I was thinking of buying Sennheiser hd 599 and I read that an amp or soundcard might be needed, so I thought that in this way I could understand if it is needed because I would not want to spend too much. My motherboard is Odense 2b47.
I think those are 50 ohm impedance headphones. I believe most motherboard audio should handle it well enough; when impedance get to 120 ohms and up you'll really need an amp. The RealTek CODEC on my motherboard handles my 64 ohm HD 280's well enough. Although, an inexpensive amp improved my experience by letting me fix system output levels at mid-range in order to not introduce distortion. It also gives me an easy to adjust volume knob, always available right beside the keyboard.
I think those are 50 ohm impedance headphones. I believe most motherboard audio should handle it well enough; when impedance get to 120 ohms and up you'll really need an amp. The RealTek CODEC on my motherboard handles my 64 ohm HD 280's well enough. Although, an inexpensive amp improved my experience by letting me fix system output levels at mid-range in order to not introduce distortion. It also gives me an easy to adjust volume knob, always available right beside the keyboard.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 19, 2020
Okay, but since my computer isn't quite the best and I have seen some forums where some have had to buy the amp, so I'm not completely sure it can do it. I wanted to understand if there was a way to see how much ohm can my motherboard handle.
Also I wouldn't have wanted to spend more than 150 (headphones and amp).

Okay, but since my computer isn't quite the best and I have seen some forums where some have had to buy the amp...

Saying for certain is almost impossible without trying those headphones with your motherboard. Do keep in mind that really good headphones come with impedances up to 600 ohms which are most likely to require a headphone amp with motherboard audio, excepting maybe top-end enthusiast boards that have a built-in amp. So you need to know what headphones they were using on the forums as well as the motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS