[SOLVED] How much overclock should i do?

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
Hello everyone, my pc specs are 4gb ddr2 ram, intel core 2 duo e7500 2.93 ghz processor, 500 gb hdd, windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and nvidia geforce gt 710 2gb gddr3 graphics card, my graphics card also has an inbuilt fan in it. I play assasin's creed 4 black flag with slight lag. For overclocking, i will use MSI afterburner. What minimum clock speed and memory clock should i set to get just 5 fps extra and not much heat. Remember, i just want 5 fps extra and not more than that, what values should i set in msi afterburner for overcloking.

Solution
Actually overclocking a GT710 is a great way to get faster frame rates, just not in a straight forward way. Overclock it by 30%, wait till it blows up, then replace it with a video card much better for games like a 730 GDDR5. Bam, instant greater FPS.

You will be limited with your RAM and CPU speeds also, your CPU is under the minimum the game maker recommends be used, at some point your FPS will be capped no matter how fast the video card is.
Getting 5fps more with 20fps average requires 25% overclock. Your GPU will get fried, if you try that.

GT 710 is not a gaming grade graphics card and should not be used for gaming. If you can call 20fps - "gaming" (more like a slide-show).
Upgrade your graphics card. GT 730, GT 750 ti - those would be your options. PSU upgrade may be necessary also.

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
sorry, i was telling wrong fps, it was my thought, actually i am getting maximum 33 fps and minimum 24 fps, in cities always above 30 fps. I used msi afterburner at stock default settings

With overclocking there is no target number, every card is different. Try increasing the speed 20mhz at a time and stress testing each time. However I think your expectations are too high, I would think a 5% to 10% performance increase is a more reasonable target.

Actually overclocking a GT710 is a great way to get faster frame rates, just not in a straight forward way. Overclock it by 30%, wait till it blows up, then replace it with a video card much better for games like a 730 GDDR5. Bam, instant greater FPS.

You will be limited with your RAM and CPU speeds also, your CPU is under the minimum the game maker recommends be used, at some point your FPS will be capped no matter how fast the video card is.

Solution

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
after setting core clock to 250 and memory clock to 100, i am getting 28 to 40 fps with maximum temperature of 58 degree celcius after playing for 1 hour ( it is winter season in my country). When i set memory clock to 150, my game ran at 30 to 45 fps but after playing for 10 min, my game crashed thus i set my mc to 100 and i have 28 to 40 fps.

if i upgrade to core 2 duo e8600, can my fps increase even a bit ?

Yes a faster CPU will make games run faster that are being limited by it, which in your case they may. Your video card is slow but then so is the CPU so speeding up either one should help. If you can buy a faster CPU for like $10 or 20 it may be worth it for you. Anything more you can just replace the system for a much newer one for like $100.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Depends on your luck.I actually clocked my sisters core2duo from 2.6ghz to 3.6ghz with a proper air cooler but i swapped it out with a E7500 without oc she just use it for movies.But core2duo's usally great with oc if properly cooled.