[SOLVED] How much partition do you use for dual boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince2611

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
So i got a Mac OS X Mountain Lion with 4GB of RAM and 500GB HHD... If I were to boot camp (planning on having win 8 pro), how much partition should I use (100GB good enough for gaming)? Should I go for the 32 bit or 64 bit (if I'm not planning on updating my RAM)?

Thanks.

Solution
Depends upon what games you want to install, and how many, but I'd say that 100GB is a bit tight. I'd go for 150-200. Bear in mind that it might take a bit of work to install Windows 8, depending upon the age of the Mac. Also, the graphics card in a Mac (depending on the model) is likely to struggle with the more demanding games.
Depends upon what games you want to install, and how many, but I'd say that 100GB is a bit tight. I'd go for 150-200. Bear in mind that it might take a bit of work to install Windows 8, depending upon the age of the Mac. Also, the graphics card in a Mac (depending on the model) is likely to struggle with the more demanding games.

Solution

JeauxBleaux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I installed Win8 on a machine yesterday and it's space consumption was 149GB before installation of any programs (except video driver) and after the 24 updates it had to do.

250 - 300GB for an OS partition might be safer, but like iJack said, it depends on what games and how many.

JeauxBleaux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Your comment led me to research the size of my OS drive. I found a 122GB file created by IOmeter buried in the "Virtual Store" directory. While IOmeter is not installed on my PC, I had run a benchmark with it last night.

True size of the OS after installation, 30GB. Considerably less than I had thought. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.