[SOLVED] How Much perfomance loss for using incorrect Ram Slot

gilang0821

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019

So from this picture i had unfortunate accident as you can see the third slot is toast as black mark appear so im forced to put ram slot in wrong position. because im short on money and not want buy new mobo because this system is already 4 years old so i can buy new system all along. how much this will impact my performance when i used it especially in gaming or office work? for you wondering why im not putting in slot 2 and 4 because mobo refusing to boot if i not put ram in first slot.

Solution
well im not properly insert the ram after cleaning my PC.

my mother board only can boot-up when first slot is filled. unless you have a way to make it happen? im using MSI B150

Ouch. Glad that the rest of the system is okay though.
With another stick of RAM, I suppose you can still use dual channel, sort of. Intel supports asymmetric dual channel (Flex Mode), while some AMD motherboards do the same just without marketing term.

The performance benefit isn't as great as true dual channel especially on Ryzen, but I figured at least you can both boot up and use dual channel.

gilang0821

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
You will be operating in single channel mode.
Not a big difference with intel, unless you depend on integrated graphics.
On ryzen, there is more impact.

Are you experiencing any unusual performance issues?
If not, do not worry.
there's some lag spike in game but other other than that everything looks fine. also it is safe to try test the burn slot with my current ram?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
there's some lag spike in game but other other than that everything looks fine. also it is safe to try test the burn slot with my current ram?
I wouldn't do that. Once killed the original motherboard from my first own PC (not shared) by putting in faulty RAM sticks. The added performance from running dual channel is not worth it over such a risky proposition. If you don't mind me asking, how did the 3rd RAM slot get burned?

gilang0821

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
I wouldn't do that. Once killed the original motherboard from my first own PC (not shared) by putting in faulty RAM sticks. The added performance from running dual channel is not worth it over such a risky proposition. If you don't mind me asking, how did the 3rd RAM slot get burned?

Move your ram on black slots, maybe it will boot, you will have dual channel enabled.
my mother board only can boot-up when first slot is filled. unless you have a way to make it happen? im using MSI B150

Last edited:

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Ouch. Glad that the rest of the system is okay though.
With another stick of RAM, I suppose you can still use dual channel, sort of. Intel supports asymmetric dual channel (Flex Mode), while some AMD motherboards do the same just without marketing term.

The performance benefit isn't as great as true dual channel especially on Ryzen, but I figured at least you can both boot up and use dual channel.

Solution