How much performance boost for upgrading from radeon rx 470 strix 4gb to gtx 1060 and which version?

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019
So this is my pc setup:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7400
GPU: Strix Radeon RX 470 4GB
RAM: DDR4 2x8GB 2666MHz HyperX Fury KIN
SSD: Transcend 220S 120GB 2.5" and a 3TB hard drive (TOSHIBA)
Motherboard: STRIX B250G GAMING

I am interested if my cpu is good enough to keep up with the gtx 1060 and is it even worth it?
I am mostly playng games like forza horizon 3, PUBG, gta V, Battlefield 1...
I also heard that nvidia have better drivers and it is easier to use so that should be a plus too?
But is it really worth to buy a new one? Or should i stick with my strix rx 470 4gb?
Someone also told me that the 1060 is more of an competitor to rx 480 but i don't know if that is the truth.. If it is the truth then maybe should i go with amd-s card again?
If it is totally worth it will the 3gb be enough or that 6gb can make a huge difference?

Solution
Not much. It's not really an upgrade, more a side step. The 6 gb can allow some extra settings at 1080p, but the 470 gets close on FPS sometimes. CPU will bottleneck in some CPU demanding games like BF1, but not by much. Ideally you'd want an I7 in there with any GPU upgrade. But for an FPS bump, then i'd be looking at a 1070/RTX2060 or RX590/Veg 56, followed by a stronger CPU to give you some smoothness while playing things like BF1/5 which really make use of more cores and threads. The 7400 was a great CPU in it's day, and is still relevant. But it maxes out in any new games quiet easily. This causes stuttering.
Not much. It's not really an upgrade, more a side step. The 6 gb can allow some extra settings at 1080p, but the 470 gets close on FPS sometimes. CPU will bottleneck in some CPU demanding games like BF1, but not by much. Ideally you'd want an I7 in there with any GPU upgrade. But for an FPS bump, then i'd be looking at a 1070/RTX2060 or RX590/Veg 56, followed by a stronger CPU to give you some smoothness while playing things like BF1/5 which really make use of more cores and threads. The 7400 was a great CPU in it's day, and is still relevant. But it maxes out in any new games quiet easily. This causes stuttering.

Solution

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019

Do you think that i would get any fps boost if i upgrade my processor to an i7-7700k?

Do you mean with your current GPU? Yes, a little, but prob by about 5-10% over your current CPU. Having a fast CPU can push more FPS out of a GPU. BUt really for the biggest bump in FPS, a stronger GPU is needed. The GTX1060 will get you more FPS, but for a substantial leap over what you have the other cards I suggested, will give more, and would be likely to leave you disappointing.

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019

Okay i got it now, for the fps boost i am looking for I need both the gpu and the cpu.
Thank for helping!

Yes, GPU first. Then CPU for more processing resources and in game smoothness for CPU demanding games.