Question How much performance could I expect from upgrading?

rabidocelot

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I get this might be a very subjective question, but I am just looking for some general advice. It has been maybe 7 or so years since I built the majority of my rig and I just wonder how well some of the parts may have aged. I have a i5 3570k Ivy Bridge processor with 8 gigs of 9-9-9-24 RAM. I am also rocking an RTX 2070. What I do know is that I want/need more RAM. I feel like 8 gigs 7 years ago was plenty but it doesn't cut it anymore.

Now I get for future proofing it may be best to just upgrade my PCU/mobo/RAM but if I do that I will need to reinstall windows. I mainly use this computer for gaming and I just wanted to get some advice on potentially getting away with just getting 16 gigs of RAM for my current setup. I understand that budget is also a concern, I was just wondering if the upgraded pieces would warrant the price.

The upgrade I was looking at was a Ryzen 3600X 3.8Ghz with 16gigs of RAM. My question almost boils down to about how much performance could I expect from dropping 500-600$ on my current setup over just upgrading with 100$ worth of RAM. Will I see a large performance difference from upgrading my CPU?. I know there is no definitive answer, I just wanted some discussion to help me lean one way or the other. Thank you all for making it this far.

Last edited: