Solution
Hey, thanks for the fast answer! I can see what you mean but the thing is I would like to not spend any more money,

I've read that some of the Toughpower models are good. That said, the link you posted to for your PSU is from 2005. So, while a pretty beefy unit, it's design is 15 years old. I imagine it's well out of its warranty period.

You've spent money on that new video card. Wouldn't you like a trustworthy power supply to protect that investment?

Questionable Power Supply: Hey, that's a nice, pricey GPU you've got there... be a REAL shame if anything (cracks knuckles and a couple of capacitors ominiously) happened to it, know what I mean?
Apr 6, 2020
Hello Giannaros,

My opinion is that you buy a new power supply, such as a Corsair RM850x, which supports newer parts and GPUs. The 2060 Super might work with the Thermaltake Toughpower 800, but I'm not sure. Your best option is to buy a new PSU.

Hey guys, I have a thermaltake toughpower 850 but it's a bit old. Here are the specs:
http://www.thermaltake.co.nz/product/Power/ToughPower/W0131/w0131.html
My question is this. I have ordered an MSI gaming X 2060 super which requires 175W and my psu, while it does have a pci-e connector, I am not sure whether or not it can handle the gpu. Any opinions? Thanks!
The 6+2(8-pin) PCIe cable can provide up to 150 watts of power and the PCIe slot on the motherboard you have the video card in provides 75 watts. It will be fine. If you have doubts about your PSU due to its age or quality that's a different story.

Giannaros

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
Hello Giannaros,

My opinion is that you buy a new power supply, such as a Corsair RM850x, which supports newer parts and GPUs. The 2060 Super might work with the Thermaltake Toughpower 800, but I'm not sure. Your best option is to buy a new PSU.
Hey, thanks for the fast answer! I can see what you mean but the thing is I would like to not spend any more money, so the question is , can the 8pin connector handle the 175W ?

Giannaros

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
The 6+2(8-pin) PCIe cable can provide up to 150 watts of power and the PCIe slot on the motherboard you have the video card in provides 75 watts. It will be fine. If you have doubts about your PSU due to its age or quality that's a different story.
So the card will draw all of the 150W that the 8pin connector can give it and then also draw the rest from the motherboard?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hey, thanks for the fast answer! I can see what you mean but the thing is I would like to not spend any more money,

I've read that some of the Toughpower models are good. That said, the link you posted to for your PSU is from 2005. So, while a pretty beefy unit, it's design is 15 years old. I imagine it's well out of its warranty period.

You've spent money on that new video card. Wouldn't you like a trustworthy power supply to protect that investment?

Questionable Power Supply: Hey, that's a nice, pricey GPU you've got there... be a REAL shame if anything (cracks knuckles and a couple of capacitors ominiously) happened to it, know what I mean?

Solution

Giannaros

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020

Yeah, you 're right, I will consider it, thanks for the input!

TRENDING THREADS