[SOLVED] How much power does a cisco 3560x and 3750x 24 port POE switch ACTUALLY use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
On cisco's website they post this:
92c2e7cf92a95f5bf270a69042d8d64f.png

This is incorrect, though. I have a 3750x-24T right here and it's using a steady 42 watts. Given that Cisco's posted number is more than double what I have right in front of me, it would seem that all their numbers are horribly overestimated. Am I missing something or are they wrong? Doesn't anyone have a 3750x 24p POE switch power idle readout? I am looking to upgrade the house but 100-150 watts is just too high, imo, to add to my already power hungry group of devices. But if it was more like 50 watts, which is seems is likely given my non poe readout, that seems more attractive. But I'd rather not find out AFTER the purchase. Does anyone know? Thank you.

Solution
You can use a Watt meter or Energy meter to see the real time consumption.

For example this one can show voltage, wattage, amperage, frequency...

61FOAk4UA5L._AC_SX466_.jpg

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Yes, this is what I did for the 24T that I have. My issue comes from the fact that I don't own every switch I am looking at buying to test. I would like to know if it's "too power hungry" BEFORE I buy the switch, not after. I am looking at the 3560x 24 and 48 poe, as well as the 3750x 24 and 48 poe. I don't own all of these to test, only the 3750x 24 T (which is not POE). I would like to know the REAL difference in power consumption so I can make an informed purchasing decision. I looked it up on cisco's site but as I said their numbers appear to be grossly inaccurate (unless I'm missing something).

There has to be someone with these switches that can supply me with the info of REAL power draw, or at least point me in the direction of an online resource that's accurate, maybe? The difference between 50 watts and 150 watts = 100 watts x 24 hours a day x 365 days a year/1000 (kw) x .12 (cents per kwh) = $105. Every year. May very well go 10 years before upgrading to 10 gig on every switchport so that's $1051 extra PER SWITCH. Given I'm already using probably a thousand watts a month (between servers, voip, APs, cams, PCs, etc) I'm trying to be a bit smarter and waste less power. Hope it helps.

Your best bet is likely the forums on cisco. I am pretty sure anyone can sign up for a ID. I have not used the site in many years since I retired. There are many people that use cisco for personal use or to get certifications. I bet someone there has measured the actual power use.

Now this switch does not compare to the fancy feature cisco has, I guess it depends on what you are doing.

I have not bought it "yet" but for $139 you get 24 gigabit ports and 2 10g sfp slots. I have not seen a switch with this many ports for that cheap.

The real reason I keep a link to it is it is powered by PoE. It says is uses 19watts maximum, not sure what the minimum is

https://mikrotik.com/product/CSS326-24G-2SplusRM#fndtn-specificationsm is.

Reactions: rcfant89

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
That's a pretty incredible offering for 140 bucks. Def. worth looking into for switching. I need POE for 3 APs, 4/5 cams, a few desk phones, and some room to grow though and that thing is only powered by poe, no poe power to devices downstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.