Status
Not open for further replies.
The rating of the cable remains what it is regardless of the PSU it's plugged into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

This question is most often asked with regard to joining a pair of molex to and adapter in order power a power hungry GPU (not recommended).

PSU manufacturers are coming up with some other "funny" cables like the 2 x 6+2pin + 6pin PCI-E VGA Cables on EVGA PSUs. And those selling presleeved cables are using smaller wires than OEM equipment. Someday that's gonna go wrong for someone.

Matteo De Vellis

Reputable
May 9, 2015

Actually I have an evga PSU and it has short cables and I could barely extend the pcie connectors in to my GPU and the CPU power didnt reach AT ALL!!! I had to get an extender which, but atleast now its sleeved

Form above link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

Type Electrical power connector
Production history
Manufacturer AMP
Produced 1963
General specifications
Width 21 mm (female), 23 mm (male)
Height 6 mm (female), 8 mm (male)
Pins 4
Electrical
Signal Yes
Max. voltage 12 V
Max. current 11 A/pin (30 °C rise)
Pin out
Pin Color Type
Pin 1 Yellow +12 V
Pin 2 Black Ground
Pin 3 Black Ground
Pin 4 Red +5 V
18 AWG wire is typically used.

Smaller would not be OK.

cordes85

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
for example the NZXT Grid+ V2 requires Molex connection, and so therefore will determine how many fans using fan splitters i can use, as i intend to use Noctua's Industrial 3000rpm 140mm lines, which are : Motor type Three-phase
Rotational Speed (+/- 10%) 3000 RPM
Min. Rotational Speed (PWM, +/-20%) 800 RPM
Airflow 269,3 m³/h
Acoustical Noise 41,3 dB(A)
Static Pressure 10,52 mm H₂O
Max. Input Power 6,6 W
Max. Input Current 0,55 A
Voltage 12 V
So how many fans could i use from the fan controller, as i intend to use push & pull on the Phanteks Pro M SE tempered Glass and want to use the ODD which limits me to 280mm rads instead of 360mm rads, so on the front x4 fans, top x2 fans, rear 1x fan so 7 in total, i know Noctua include splitters with their fans, does this the 75W from the molex will be enough to run the fans at a deafening 3000rpm ?!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
18ga wire at 1ft at 12vDC is good for 10A. Regardless if the connector is valued greater. Molex chains use a single 12v or 5v lead, unlike pcie which uses 2-3 12v leads per connector. It's the reason molex to pcie 8pin adapters use 2x molex but a single for the 6pin. 120w doesn't cut it. The directions also say to use seperate chains to power a 8pin, as using 2 molex on the same chain at upto 180w is a fire hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS