[SOLVED] How much power should i provide my rx480 externally?

Aug 21, 2019
I have a XFX rx480 which i want to power externally it has a 1x8 pin what rating should be of the external psu to give it enough power?

Solution
Molex and SATA to 8 pin adapters are a bad idea, and are not only dangerous, they are typically not capable of supplying the required 150w that any 8 pin can and should be capable of supplying. Especially, ESPECIALLY, on a cheap ass 180w unit that probably is incapable of sustaining 90w continuously. You are looking to start a fire and maybe even burn down your house, with a plan like this. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
How are you going to power it "externally"? Do you have an external adapter of some kind? Is it going to be installed in a motherboard and ONLY be externally powered for the PCI supplemental power but still receive it's slot power of 75w through the motherboard?

Or is it going to be installed in a completely external adapter housing and not in the motherboard at all?

Regardless, it's unlikely you will find an 8 pin or 6+2 pin connector on anything smaller than a 450w unit anyhow, so if the only thing that the PSU will be powering is the PCIe supplemental circuit on the graphics card, then a 450w unit used in conjunction with whatever is powering the rest of the system should be fine but you are going to need a special configuration adapter or manually power on the external PSU prior to starting up the rest of the system every time. Overall, it's a bad idea. It is a MUCH better idea to simply obtain a PSU that is capable enough, and of good enough quality, to run the whole system.

These kinds of "frankenmodifications" rarely work out the way people want them to and if you're simply trying to avoid purchasing one unit with enough power for the card plus the rest of the system, I would say it's not recommended that you do things that way.

Aug 21, 2019
I have a sff hp 800 g1 prebuild with 220/240 watt power supply
I have connected the gpu directly to the motherboard it will provide 75 watts to it but i know it isn't enough i have a 420 watt atx power supply lying around. So i want to know that should i connect that one or buy a 150 watt as rx 480 uses 185 watts?

Molex and SATA to 8 pin adapters are a bad idea, and are not only dangerous, they are typically not capable of supplying the required 150w that any 8 pin can and should be capable of supplying. Especially, ESPECIALLY, on a cheap ass 180w unit that probably is incapable of sustaining 90w continuously. You are looking to start a fire and maybe even burn down your house, with a plan like this. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Solution