How much power will I need for this system?

nickajeglin

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Specs:
AMD Phenom II 650 3.4ghz black edition cpu
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 mobo
2x2Gb DDR3-1333 RAM
Western Digital caviar green 2tb HDD
Nvidia Geforce 9800 gtx+ GPU
2 DVD-RW drives
4 fans of varying size, and several usb devices at any one time.

Right now I have a 650w bronze certified (80%) psu by Antec. It can handle it as long as I leave the graphics card unplugged.

I plugged the specs into several power calculators that I've found, and they recommended anything from 550w to 400w, so it's hard to tell. I've ordered up a 750w coolermaster, but maybe I should just go for 800? Could anyone help a newbie out here?

Your 650W Antec unit should be more than capable of handling that system. Why do you say it will handle it only if you leave the graphics card unplugged? Is it a new PSU or a new graphics card?

I wouldnt get a 750W unit from cooler master, its probably the 750 GX correct? If so thats not a good unit, especially since it costs the same as good 750W units like the 750 TX V2.

nickajeglin

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
If I plug in the graphics card, the system boots, but windows becomes rapidly slower until it becomes unresponsive, then eventually reboots. I was having this problem with a 500w psu, but a 650 solved it. I updated my graphics card drivers, and the problem came back, I unplugged the gpu, and now the system is running with no issue.

If you don't think it's a power issue, do you have any idea what it could be? I'm kind of at the end of my rope here since the graphics card worked well in my previous system, and as far as I can tell should be compatible with this one. Other than power, I'm having a hard time figuring out what could be wrong.

edit: Hunter, your sig reminded me of this "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
is it related?

nickajeglin

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Jason, that seems like it should have worked, but I've tried hooking up the gpu in every possible configuration, and not one even booted. It would bring up the "loading windows" screen, and then stop at a black screen, then reboot. I've now completely removed the gpu, and the system still will not boot, the windows start up repair utility runs, then reports "corrupt volume", and reboots. chkdsk reports all is well though, so I'm not entirely sure what that could mean.

I'm beginning to think that there could be an underlying issue with the HDD, so I'm going to swap it out and start over from the very beginning.

TRENDING THREADS