Question How much PSU headroom is needed when overclocking?

Sep 16, 2020
I've tried looking online but got various answers and quite often the post were old so I was hoping someone here could m speed test aybe inform me on what I should know when building a system that I plan to overclock (CPU,GPU & RAM) showbox

Last edited:
I've tried looking online but got various answers and quite often the post were old so I was hoping someone here could maybe inform me on what I should know when building a system that I plan to overclock (CPU,GPU & RAM)
Plenty of headroom if you wanted to, good quality PSU + great capacity gives you alot of headroom even if the power usage is not reaching 75%, it also keep the psu cool, compared to low capacity psu that you'll reach 75% of the capacity. Good motherboard will yields better OC results, so you need to find a good one if you're so into overclocking cpu and ram.

If all you touch is the clock speed, it's a linear increase in power. So if you bump up the clock speed by 5%, expect at least 5% extra power being consumed.

If you have to bump up the voltage, then it's an exponential increase by n^2. So if you bump up the voltage by 5%, it really increases the power consumption by about 10% (1.05 ^ 2 = ~1.10).

If you can't get any data from other people who've overclocked the parts you're interested in, then plan for at least 15%-20% on each part you're overclocking.

Agree, it depends on the specific parts. The other question is if it overclocking is worth it. I have 3700x and 3080 Gaming OC. The cpu I found best to just to use PBO and overclocking the gpu was a waste of time given the tiny gains available and noticeable extra heat and noise.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS